jobPB CAREERS: Golden Boy Foods – Dir, Quality & Food Safety
Posted: December 6, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Reporting to the President and CEO of Private Label, the Director of Quality and Food Safety will be responsible for the Quality, Food Safety, and respective compliance functions of the company, including owned manufacturing facilities (U.S. and Canada), co-manufacturers, ingredient and packaging vendors, and warehousing and distribution sites globally. This position will provide strategic vision and leadership to the organization while taking a proactive approach to the navigation of all food compliance regulations within the business both domestically and internationally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Quality & Food Safety programs and assures cross-functional alignment and accountability across the division.
- Continuously identifies food safety risks and leads the implementation of risk mitigation strategies.
- Develops professional relationships with plant leadership teams, quality leaders, R&D leaders, suppliers, regulators, and auditors to ensure division product safety strategies are implemented.
- Establishes clear goals/objectives to enhance food safety and quality.
- Is responsible for staying abreast of new food laws and regulations and assuring the business unit is in compliance to all local, state, and federal food laws.
- Supports the manufacturing facilities during Regulatory, Customer and 3rd Party audits and assist in corrective actions as necessary.
- Develops Quality & Food Safety metrics that align with the overall business objectives.
- Assures the Food Safety Plans are developed and updated.
- Development of a robust microbiological testing program for all locations that ensure food safety for our consumers complies fully with all regulatory expectations and positions the company positively within the industry.
- Analyzes food safety and food quality data including consumer complaints, customer feedback, finished product results, ingredient issues, and product and processing specifications while developing corrective actions that enhance our processes.
- Provides technical support for quality training in manufacturing facilities as well as the development of technical training in the area of HACCP, Microbiological, Allergen Control, Sanitation, Pest Control, etc. as required.
- Develops a continuous 3-year food safety capital plan.
- Lead all food safety non-compliance crisis situations and assure the organization has a well thought out plan of action.
- Assure traceability systems are implemented and coordinates mock recalls throughout the entire supply chain.
- Assure training programs are established and conducted in all areas of Quality and Food Safety.
- Has a dotted line responsibility to the SVP of Quality & Food Safety of Post Holdings and will be a member of the PHI Quality Counsel.
- Corresponds with plant personnel to investigate customer and consumer issues including root cause analysis and implementation of corrective and preventative actions.
- Provides professionally acceptable written resolution to satisfy customer expectations regarding customer and consumer concerns.
- Develops a professional relationship with the Quality & Food Safety representatives of key customer accounts and supports visits as requested by Sales.
- Other duties/assignments as requested by the Senior Leadership team.
- 20 – 40% Travel Required
- Internal – Plant Management, R&D, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing and IT
- External – Trade customers, government regulators, suppliers, trade groups, and certification and auditing firms.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. You will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by your supervisor or manager.
Required Competencies & Knowledge:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to make presentations, facilitate meetings, and provide training
Ability to lead and influence others without direct authority.
Must be able to read, write and communicate in the English language.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology or related field required.
- Master of Science or equivalent education and experience required; Food Science, Microbiology or related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of progressive experience in Food Manufacturing, Food Safety, Quality, Operations or R&D.
- Must have a minimum of seven years’ experience in the area of Food Safety or Quality Assurance.
- Previous experience in oversight of Food Safety programs in multiple locations is strongly desired.
- Direct experience with GFSI certification schemes (SQF, BRC, etc.) is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.