PB CAREERS – PetSmart – Director, Proprietary Brands
Wouldn’t you love to bring your pet to the office and work in an environment that feels like family? Well, you can have all that and more in our home office in Phoenix, AZ. It’s part of how a career at PetSmart is the purr-fect fit for some of the best and brightest people. Learn more about our home office here.
Location Phoenix, ArizonaID PD-18-5967
This position is responsible for developing and overseeing PetSmart’s growing proprietary brands portfolio with the goal of driving customer loyalty, increase profitability and sales. In this role you will oversee and lead a team of brand development professionals that are responsible for day to day execution of the various proprietary brands. Researches and interprets pet trends and consumer interests/needs that uphold the integrity of the company’s propriety brand. Key to the success of proprietary brands, this role will ensure brands are actively managed within a set of predetermined guard rails and take maximum advantage of trends to drive trail and repeat. As a leader of the team, this role will develop and mentor associates to build organizational bench strength, as well as recognize and cultivate talent.
The Director, Proprietary Brands will report to the Vice President, Proprietary Brands. Directly supervises a team of 5+ associates; indirectly coaches and influences several others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Directs a long-term brand roadmap plan and monetizes market trends.
- Define portfolio strategy for proprietary brands, including defining white space opportunities with data and customer insights where new brands and/or sub-brands are needed.
- Define and oversee the product concept development process to ensure the brand guard rails, attributes and areas of opportunity are defined.
- Direct Product Claim development to create a pipeline of new products that drive trial and repeat.
- Oversee and approve all packaging development.
- Oversee Proprietary Brands’ cost and margin targets and manage the vendor bid process.
- Lead cross-functional teams, including collaboration with Buying and MP&A teams and manage project complex timelines with various interdependencies.
- Define and implement processes necessary to stand up true Brand Management capability in the organization. Previous experience with milestone development and initiative management processes a plus.
- Direct a high performing, customer-centric team. Select, coach, motivate, conduct performance evaluations, and identify development and growth opportunities. Develop associates through coaching, mentoring, performance management, talent management, and succession planning.
- Develop work goals and objectives for the department in accordance and alignment with company goals; provides leadership, measures and feedback, and motivation for staff achievement of departmental goals.
- Build relationships and initiates processes with internal and external partners that facilitate cross-functional synergy and collaboration.
- Develop and implements best practice processes and procedures for the team and the department.
- Prioritize all brand development projects while considering the overall needs of the organization and ensuring optimum utilization of available resources for timely development and introduction.
- Continuously monitor customer and competitive intelligence and aids in the development of business opportunities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor\’s degree required (minimum). Requires proficiency typically obtained with 15+ years’ experience including 10+ years demonstrated leadership in CPG branding, private brand development, merchandising and/or buying.
Requires a creative and strategic results-oriented leader with strong strategic thinking, planning and analytical skills. Must have integrity and be dedicated to the principles of developing a strong collaborative team-based organization. Superior financial and business acumen is essential and a highly credible management presence is necessary.