Reporting to the Senior Package Design Manager, the Associate Package Design Manager is responsible for the development and execution of new strategic design initiatives as well as the day-to-day management of the package design workflow and art direction for PetSmart’s Proprietary Brands packaging. As a working manager, the Package Design Manager develops original and adaptive package graphics and leads a creative team ensuring that all projects are completed accurately, on schedule and with creative solutions that support and enhance brand strategies and standards.
The Associate Package Design Manager works with the Sr. Packaging Design Manager, in-house packaging design team, vendors, Product Manager, Buyers and others to ensure maximum quality, consistency and accuracy. Aside from being detail oriented, the ideal candidate will have a strong level of initiative, requiring a focus on details while also considering the big picture. This person will be a detail driven, self motivated team player with the ability to manage a creative team handling multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced retail environment. Must have expert knowledge of design software and package design. Experience in overseas packaging execution, style guides, packaging production art and pre-press.
- As a working manager the ideal candidate will personally develop original and adaptive package designs as well as lead a creative and production team.
- Develop informative design briefs that capture the design strategy, guides and inspires the design development process.
- Work with designers and external agencies to develop strong and compelling package design solutions driven by innovative ideas, understanding the initiatives/objectives outlined in the creative brief or as agreed upon with cross-functional team partners.
- Presentation of the work with sound, fact-based recommendations to all levels of management. Capture feedback and be adept at delivering final designs that gain alignment and achieve or exceed the project objectives.
- Collaborates with the Associate Packaging Project Manager and Senior Packaging Manager in the creation of packaging timelines and execution strategies.
- Must have thorough understanding of the package design development process from concept development through to printing and know how to lead projects through the process to completion.
- Manages day-to-day workflow/execution of package design projects. Monitors the status of package design projects ensuring that they are executed with strong creative solutions, accurately, on time and on budget.
- Provides “hands-on” design, creative art direction, inspires and mentors Package Design Team.
- Communicates objectives and design requirements clearly to Package Designers and cross-functional team members.
- Monitors the status of package design projects ensuring that they are executed with strong creative solutions, accurately, on time and on budget.
- Keeps Senior Packaging Manager and Associate Packaging Project Manager informed of the status of all design projects.
- Contributes to design development solutions and development of production art as needed based on project needs.
- Interfaces with cross-functional partners to understand and facilitate Proprietary Brands packaging objectives.
- Maintains and develops technical and creative knowledge of retail package design.
- Improves design process through continued evaluation of current processes.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage to a budget and work within established timelines.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative corporate environment.
- 5-7 years package design experience in a fast-paced retail environment or package design focused position. 2 years of Sr. Package Design level experience.
- Experience in managing a creative team; inspiring, motivating and building credibility.
- Expert level in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat).
- Portfolio of demonstrated successful creative package design solutions.
- Must be motivated, flexible, detail-oriented, with strong organizational and team skills.
- BA/BFA College degree in graphic design or related field.
- Experience in overseas packaging execution a plus.