PB Careers: H-E-B – Product Development Engineer, Constructed Products
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace, and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Our Product Development Team is looking for a self-driven individual with a strong passion for development and is great at building open, trusting relationships within the organization and external suppliers. As a Product Development Engineer, you will need to work collaboratively and cross-functionally with all levels of the organization and have strong communication skills.
Creating an emotional link between the products we make, and our customers is the work of our H-E-B Own Brand Team. Own Brand Partners develop products to meet a variety of business objectives. As an integral part of the Center for Excellence for Retail Product Development, a successful partner will understand, create, and carry out the best practices for product design, product evaluation, supplier engagement, technology advancement, and project execution.
As a Product Development Engineer – Constructed Products, you\’ll serve in our initial level product development manager role. You\’ll be responsible for multiple categories (specifically paper/pulp-based products and resin-based products) and numerous projects (20+) that help H-E-B be competitive and successful in the omnichannel business and delight our customers.
Once you\’re eligible, you\’ll become an Owner in the company, so we\’re looking for commitment, hard work, and focus on quality and Customer service. \’Partner-owned\’ means our most important resources–People–drive the innovation, growth, and success that makes H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company.
Do you have a:
HEART FOR PEOPLE… collaborative work style?
HEAD FOR BUSINESS… understanding of supplier capabilities and solutions to exceed customer needs?
PASSION FOR RESULTS… drive to communicate/influence to develop high-quality product specifications?
We are looking for:
- a degree in food science, industrial engineering, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in the food/retail industry; 2+ years of experience in product development
- communication and influencing skills
What is the work?
Management / Project Management:
- Performs broad product development activities as assigned on a per-project basis; collaborates with multiple teams and suppliers throughout project scope
- Participates in / contributes to all aspects of product design, including new idea generation, prototype development, competitive assessments, and technical/regulatory/ food safety compliance
- Ensures designs and product objectives support merchant category plans, assortment strategies, price point, and overall creative direction
- Researches/analyzes industry technology/consumer trends to advise H-E-B Partners and teams on how to bring the best solutions available to H-E-B customers and businesses
- Maximizes H-E-B supplier capabilities to develop the product portfolio throughout the full lifecycle of the product development and design process
- Negotiates with suppliers / other external stakeholders to ensure adherence to specifications and legal agreements
- Leads product evaluations on behalf of the category team; collaborates with the consumer insights/research team on customer panel evaluations
- Establishes industry-leading specifications for Own Brand products with suppliers that reflect the essential quality parameters for customer delight and success
- Coaches /mentors/trains Partners on Own Brand work and product development activities
- May manage specific Own Brand programs/initiatives (e.g., H-E-B Select Ingredients) that support company business goals
What is your background?
- Master\’s degree (preferred) in food science or related field (industrial, chemical or mechanical engineering degree may apply), or comparable experience
- Bachelor of Science in food science, engineering, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in the food/retail industry
- 2+ years of experience in product development
- Experience in project management
- Experience influencing decisions in a highly complex, competitive retail environment
- Experience in H-E-B Own Brand Product Development (preferred)
Do you have what it takes to be a fit as an H-E-B Product Development Engineer I?
- Strong knowledge of technology/consumer trends and how to identify/define key product quality and sensory attributes
- Strong knowledge of product development, including manufacturing, packaging ingredients, and nutrition
- Intermediate retail merchant knowledge
- Understanding of how to meet merchant strategic objectives and business
- Intermediate verbal / written communication skills that translate on an international scale
- Intermediate analytical and problem-solving skills
- Intermediate negotiating and influencing skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Ability to manage multiple priorities/deadlines; attention to detail
- Ability to work complex issues with senior management, and lead/influence internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to make key decisions on a daily basis while seeking out perspective and input from others
- Ability to effectively teach complex technical information to a non-technical audience
- Ability to take initiative; willingness to take calculated risks and collaborate with key partners for alignment
- Function in a fast-paced, retail, office environment
- Travel by car or plane with overnight stays, with some international travel
- Sit for extended periods
- Regularly lift 20 lbs or more
- Work extended hours
Primary Location: US-TX-San Antonio
Work Locations: Headquarters-Arsenal 646 S. Flores San Antonio 78204
Job: Own Brand
Organization: Corporate Region
Job Type: Full-time