The Product Manager is responsible for leading all aspects of private brand product development in assigned categories for Tractor Supply Company (TSC). Working closely with the merchant team, product engineers, designers, quality control, factories and agents to define and develop exclusive brands and the right products that serves the TSC customer needs.
This role will support the Seasonal and Ag division.
- Work with merchants, QC and marketing to establish the product brand parameters including the overall vision as well as the specific features, benefits, means to measure, look, minimum quality of raw materials, and designs
- Travel for research, development and product approval; that includes but not limited to, trade shows, factories, raw material suppliers, stores, competitors and customers. Includes domestic as well as international travel.
- Work with merchants and agents to define product research and development opportunities, priorities and timelines by brand and category. Co-lead with the buyers coordinated category and item research with expert users from TSC store group to define the needs and benefits the customers are looking for and refine the final products.
- Direct the creation of specifications including all aspects of the product, raw materials, mechanical design, packaging, instructions and marketing for point of purchase.
- Researches, selects, recruits and manages the people involved in the development in order to create the desired product and hit the agreed to timelines. This could include direct reports and indirect internal, agent, freelance, and factory staff supporting the design, drafting, engineering, packing and marketing development.
- Help define and lead the development of the internal processes and systems required to fully and effectively integrate product development into the current TSC processes and culture. This will include various TVS events, and cross functional interaction and leadership.
- Co-Lead with sourcing the source of supply selection, evaluation and negotiations process. Working with merchants and planning to fully define the needs and contingencies, and with sourcing, agents, QC, and product engineer to assure understanding, capability and final agreement that full-fills all those needs.
Experience: 5-7 years of relevant work experience, demonstrated collaborative leadership skills, ability to think strategically and conceptually, proven success at creative product development, ability to read and understand technical specification, excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong negotiation and vendor management skills.
Education: Knowledge ordinarily acquired through attainment of a Bachelor’s degree. Any suitable combination of education and experience will be considered.
Other knowledge, skills or abilities:
- Knowledge of lawn and garden and rural lifestyle.
- Must be capable of using basic Office communication, word processing and spread sheet programs and understand development communication system’s needs.
- Highly desire hard lines product development experience in similar goods to TSC, background in farm, ranch and rural products, 3D CAD, drafting, consumer product engineering, packaging design, and wholesale or retail consumer products development, marketing or buying experience, especially farm store.
Tractor Supply Company (TSCO), the largest rural lifestyle retailer in the United States, is dedicated to enhancing our strong company culture built on our team members’ commitment to our Mission and Values. With over 2,000 stores (including Petsense) and an innovative e-commerce platform, Tractor Supply ranks in the Fortune 400 with revenues of over $8 billion and growing! Come grow your career with us as we serve those who live “Life out Here”!
Requisition ID 2020-16512