Job ID: 125135
Brand: The Home Depot
Location: Atlanta, GA
Job Type: Corporate/Other
Category: Logistics/Supply Chain/Import
The Lead Product Engineer will be the technical expert for assigned product category partnering with the merchandising team to manage private brand products. The lead will set the strategic engineering direction and develop and maintain product requirements for the product category. The lead provides industry regulatory research and knowledge, aligns benchmarking activities with Brand, Merchant and customer needs and provides resolution of product performance concerns for assigned product categories. The lead will also utilize Bill of Materials and internal tools and data to estimate raw material, manufacturing, labor, logistics, business and all total cost involved in manufacturing and shipping product. The lead is responsible for conducting engineering evaluations to determine component and complete product assembly costs for assigned product categories of Products.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Project management including benchmarking and product requirement development
- Provide expert product engineering guidance and knowledge or evaluations to deliver short-term business goals
- Lead financial and value-based calculations, summarize the findings for the business in presentation quality format and communicate findings to key stakeholders
- Mentor assigned engineers and educate other business team members on the engineering principles and regulatory concerns
- Direct resolution of product performance concerns
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to Sr. Manager Product Engineering
This position has no direct reports
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Travel: Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 7 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions, there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent in a field of study related to the job
- Master of Business Administration
- Product costing experience
- Extensive understanding of Bills of Materials
- Knowledge of Merchandising Financial terms
- Experience working in a manufacturing and/or product development environment including design for reduced Manufacturing and Assembly costs
- Experience working with OEM suppliers through the product development cycle
- Experience working with vertically integrated manufacturers
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment
- Business acumen and understanding of Merchandising
- Ability to use standard hand tools and lab equipment such as technical measuring equipment, power tools, and pneumatic tools.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to use costing software such as Boothroyd Dewhurst DFM/DFMA
- Demonstrated manufacturing knowledge in areas such as plastics, metals, glass, wood, textiles and Printed Circuit boards