Req. Number: 17003700
Address: 1372 Broadway, 10th Floor
City, State: New York, NY
Postal Code: 10018
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2016 revenues of $12.9 billion The Company operates Ross Dress for Less (\”Ross\”), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,340 locations in 36 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 190 dd’s DISCOUNTS locations in 15 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
- A career that fits you
- Amazing culture and people
- Big company with a family feeling
- Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
About this job:
The Art Director will oversee end to end management of the packaging design process to enhance the overall value of Ross and dd’s Home product.
- Drive and lead major packaging design initiatives including brand creation, brand extensions, \”big ideas\” or trend-driven packaging design presentations
- Lead and manage the creative briefing process for all major design projects; ensure that design deliverables meet requirements and objectives of each creative brief
- Ensure brand integrity is maintained in packaging design across all private branded packaging (bird’s eye view of all designers’ work)
- Identify and present key market trends (packaging substrates, print processes, color and design trends) applicable to the business; and translate them into executable Ross packaging
- Provide high level art direction for photo-shoots; Train designers to provide shot direction and execute high quality photography for packaging
- Oversee private label packaging from design to final production; Provide creative direction on all packaging projects
- Align packaging team priorities with the business objectives to deliver high quality work on-time
- Develop and implement process for vetting designs internally before presenting to the business
- Provide creative solutions in meetings, as needed, to resolve design challenges between the Packaging Design team and the business
- Manage large packaging projects including costing exercises, design template creation, centralized printing, etc.
- Ensure team adheres to current processes, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement; create and propose process and tools to support packaging design operations
- Manage and train team of packaging designers; Develop designers’ technical design and product knowledge
- Delegate projects to Designers, setting a clear picture of desired results. (i.e. teach team how to approach projects, present/ sell communicate their designs to the business, how to diversify designs)
- Set milestone calendar and timing expectations for major design projects incorporating brief, internal and external reviews that hit desired product delivery timeframe
- Adjust to shifting priorities and the dynamic retail environment by flexing the team as needed to hit key milestones and deadlines
- Challenge teams to share inspiration, collaborate, stay on current trends and be able to weave them into their projects
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with cross-functional team leadership
- Work cross-functionally to ensure packaging projects adhere to calendar and communicate any risks or downstream implications
- Serve as a key point of contact and resource for overseas partners on major packaging-related projects or inquiries
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Packaging Design, Graphic Design, or related field
- Minimum 10 years of direct experience designing and managing packaging at a large retail or wholesale company
- Proven leader and effective team manager
- Strong ability to collaborate with other colleagues
- Strong aesthetic leadership; ability to inspire team while delivering high volumes of packaging projects
- Enjoys a diverse range of Design projects
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Maintains composure under pressure
- Proven track record of leading packaging design projects that are on-brief, on-time and cost effective
- Possesses strong communication skills (Verbal and Written) and responsive to internal and external colleagues
- Creative minded, while overseeing, budgeting, and developing time-frames for multiple products
- Highly Proficient with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Knowledge and/or experience with design for off price retailers or vendors a plus
- Knowledge and/or experience with packaging construction and/or engineering a plus