Job Number: 20-007938
Post Date: 02/11/2020
Positions Available: 1
Operating Company: Retail Business Services
Full/Part-Time Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt (Salary)
Address: 2110 Executive Drive
About Retail Business Services
Retail Business Services, LLC, is the services company of Ahold Delhaize USA, currently providing services to six East Coast grocery brands, including Food Lion, Giant Food, GIANT/MARTIN’S, Hannaford and Stop & Shop, as well as the country’s largest online grocery retailer, Peapod. Retail Business Services leverages the scale of the local brands to drive synergies and provides industry-leading expertise, insights and analytics to local brands to support their strategies with services including Information Technology, Merchandising, Marketing & Sourcing Services, Private Brand Products, Pharmacy Services, Not for Resale, Store Services, Financial Services, Legal Services, Communications, Supply Chain and People Systems and Services. For more information, visit www.retailbusinessservices.com.
Position Location: Carlisle, PA or Quincy, MA or Salisbury, NC
Lead product integrity, including product validation, sustainability efforts, and renovation for all Private Brands (PB) products in order to ensure full alignment with brand standards and become famous for Private Brands. Oversight and enforcement of nutritional guidelines for the Private Brands portfolio of brands. Additionally, the Product Excellence lead is responsible for the development and operation of the Private Brands Quality Assurance department and set guidelines and Code of Best Practice standards for the RBS corporate brand program. This involves product safety, product monitoring, and supplier evaluation. The role is also responsible to set strategy and oversee RBS Private Brands efforts behind responsible products (e.g. social compliance/fair labor, food safety, critical commodities, and emerging issues).
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads all efforts around product safety, product quality monitoring, and maintenance
- Develops and executes Quality Assurance guidelines, strategies, and codes of best practice standards for the RBS corporate brand program serving all Ahold Delhaize Brands in the areas of nonperishable, fresh and nonfoods.
- Leads all efforts to assure responsible sourcing and steps are taken to ensure that our suppliers respect the rights of workers and provide safe working conditions, while at the same time preserving the environment in accordance with our established guidelines.
- Leads the negotiation, development and directs all aspects of the third party QA resources (if applicable) and respective participation in the corporate brand program.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Private Brands product validation process, including but not limited to sensory cuttings, consumer/associate research, and product nutritional standards.
- Manages reporting functions to Group Ahold Delhaize for the above functional areas
- Responsible for the product safety, quality, and integrity of all Private Brand products.
- Closely collaborates with corporate quality assurance and communication teams at banners and Supply Chain as appropriate. Metric
- Achievement of Sustainability (GFSI, Social Compliance, and Critical Commodities)
- Customer satisfaction at brand level (e.g. NPS, brand tracker)
Private Brand Quality Assurance
- Leads quality and safety of all Private Brands products consistent with the brand definition and strategy
- Establishes and oversees all the PB Quality Assurance guidelines, strategies, and codes of best practice standards.
- Oversees all efforts to ensure full compliance with GSFI food safety agreed-upon goals/requirements.
- Responsible for the product safety, quality and integrity of Private Brands brand products throughout the supply chain, warehouse, retail stores, and customer level.
- Oversees and works closely with corporate QA around the execution of Private Brands product recalls.
- Leads all efforts around Private Brands Sustainability (i.e. responsible retailing and responsible products)
- Establishes and oversees all the sustainability initiatives and commitments for the Private Brand portfolio of Brands.
- Leads the team that ensures full compliance with RBS and the Brands USA sustainability commitments and requirements.
- Works closely and represents the AD USA Private Brands team with the Ahold Delhaize Group team to establish the sustainability goals for the Private Brands portfolio of Brands.
- Monitors progress towards the achievement of sustainability goals and elevate issues/risks as appropriate.
- Leads all efforts around Renovation for Private family of Brands
- Establishes the strategic path to renovate or improve the nutritional contents of the Private Brands portfolio of products (i.e. sugar, salt reduction).
- Leads the team that recommends and executes product formulation improvements that are better for you without sacrificing their taste.
- Serves as the liaison and health and wellness expert for the company. Works with AD USA to leverage overall health &wellness strategies and programs (e.g. Guiding Stars).
- Manages/represents Private Brands in relationship to “emerging” responsible product issues such as animal welfare, labor events, etc.
- Provides oversight and enforcement of nutritional guidelines for the Private Brands portfolio of brands.
Talent Development & Leadership
- Leads the Product Excellence Private Brands team at AD USA
- Responsible for the development, talent planning, career guidance, and performance management of Private Brands associates at RBS.
- Influences organizational alignment across multiple areas at RBS & the Brands (Private Brands advocate at the Brands and RBS).
- Exudes a high degree of credibility and the ability to work with and through all levels of management (including Category Management leadership).
- Creates a positive work environment and has the ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Delivers intentional and authentic on-going feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- 10+ years of related experience
- Minimum of 4 years of management experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Supervisory/leadership skills
- Presentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to analyze, interpret and take appropriate action on the information.
- Consumer food product development; with a minimum of 3 years in a cross-functional (formula, package, and process) leadership role strategic planning
- Success in product innovation and new product development and commercialization
- Expertise in sensory testing and guidance and consumer product testing
- Ability to critically evaluate multiple aspects of food products
- Significant experience with product improvements and product lifecycle management
- Creativity, culinary aptitude and a passion for working with food
- Expertise in consumer food trends and the ability to identify and define key product quality and sensory attributes
- Solid understanding of consumer food products brand management
- Strong merchant knowledge
- Understanding of the private label retail food business environment and metrics
- Influence/communicate cross-functionally
- Customer focus
- Ability to adapt and drive change
- Ability to inspire and motivate others