Location: 10850 Via Frontera – NSC Building 1, San Diego, CA 92127
Schedule: Full Time
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
This role is responsible for assigned product branding and accountable for package design and execution.
To support the development and execution of Petco Private Brand branding, packaging and internal communication. Support category strategies and brand and product positioning to distinguish Petco’s private brand products based on their superior value, quality and design.
Essential Job Functions:
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Understand and define the target customer and lead the development of brands that create emotional connection and aspiration within defined product categories.
- Work with private brand product development, communications, merchants, category marketing, merchandise planning & analytics and other cross-functional teams to define Brand strategy for Home, Play, Away and Apparel.
- Represent branding, packaging and communication for all Private Brand products within assigned portfolio. Take product / strategic direction from the merchants and Private Brand leaders, and work collaboratively with product developers, sourcing, packaging engineer, copywriter, merchandising team and others to develop and execute branding, packaging and communication plans.
- Manage branding, packaging and communication processes, adhering to deadlines and milestones. Participate in process development and influence process changes to improve quality and speed to market.
- Establish the key product attributes and benefits and ensure products are assigned to the appropriate brand; develop and execute the brand positioning for portfolio of private brand products. Facilitate branding discussions, representing brand positioning, and lead cross-functional alignment around branding decisions.
- Own collection of input to package and marketing creative briefs, write effective creative briefs and define communication hierarchy. Coordinate with merchants and product developers to ensure briefs contain all information and effectively convey package and brand requirements. Write briefs for in-store signage and work with visual merchandising, product developer and merchants to execute signage.
- Lead overall package development. Oversee development and execution of packaging for assigned portfolio, provide input to package design, brand adaptation, communication hierarchy, substrate and structure selection and print execution.
- Act as conduit to develop marketing briefs and represent private brands’ portrayal in marketing / media. Serve as approver of marketing materials that feature private brand products.
- Remain knowledgeable about marketing related subjects such as brand management, consumer behavior influences and current marketing research methodologies.
- Provide the strategic objectives necessary to effectively partner with our Marketing team in the development of our go-to-market strategies on Private Brand products.
- Understand and remain knowledgeable of customer need, behaviors and influence triggers through financial and customer data analysis, market research and consumer testing; and formulate effective strategies to ensure the brands receive maximum quality and yield better results than those of our competitors for similar retails; ensure these teachings are incorporated into our packaging and training for associates; partner with our internal Marketing Research department to achieve the most effective results.
- Continuously demonstrate strong leadership abilities, effective communication and social skills, strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Maintain a strong relationship with marketing to ensure our brand message is
- appropriately and consistently communicated across all marketing channels.
This individual does not have any direct supervisory responsibility but leads branding and packaging decisions through influence across the cross-functional product design and development, packaging and sourcing team.
The majority of job duties are conducted while seated indoors, with little or no exposure to hazards. Minor travel may be required. Some overnight travel, domestic and international, will be required to meet with vendors, participate in conferences and to conduct other business matters.
Education and Experience:
Normally requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Marketing or Business Administration. Requires a minimum of seven years business experience, with direct involvement in brand marketing, brand management or category marketing. Requires understanding the product side of the business either with experience in product development or merchandising and experience with brand positioning is a plus. Requires the ability to communicate via written correspondence and informal and formal presentations with senior management, product development, merchandising, external vendors, etc. Requires experience working in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment as well as the ability to self-manage deadlines. Must be self-motivated and results-oriented with the ability to function effectively as part of a cross-functional team yet work independently. Must be able to keep abreast of current trends in branding and packaging. Requires strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Suite: Photoshop and Illustrator. Requires a high level of creativity. Must be able to graciously receive constructive criticism and apply it to products and work processes. Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a US Passport for international travel. An equivalent combination of education and related experience can be substituted for a degree. Experience in a retail environment is preferred. Experience with graphic or product design is necessary.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.