This week Loblaws continues its popular marketing campaign for its “no name” private brand with a playful entry on social media darling TikTok. The “festive song for tik tok” features the bold minimal design aesthetic and no name products with a computer-generated 16-bit video game-like soundtrack version of the 12 days of Christmas.
If you are not familiar with Tik Tok it is the short form (15 second) video clip app which has stirred up a revival in the video clip space. It has evolved from its Musically heritage to develop a more interactive, collaborative, and addictive experience. The results have been Gen Z, Millenials and but the business community has embraced the service. TikTok has surged in popularity, topping worldwide download charts since Q4 of 2018.
A few fun facts on Tik Tok
- TikTok now has over 1.5 billion users.
- Users typically spend around 52 minutes per day on the app.
- 29% of monthly users open TikTok every day.
- 60% of the app’s monthly active users in the U.S. are 16- to 24- year-olds.
- 80% of TikTok’s sessions are on Android devices.
- Americans have spent over $23.1 million on TikTok’s virtual currency since 2018.
- Android use of the app is more popular than iOS.
- Jimmy Fallon’s #TumbleweedChallenge created 8,000 videos with over 9 million views in seven days.
- Just 4% of U.S. social media marketers use the platform.
- Men are slightly more likely to use TikTok than women.
- The top 50 TikTok creators have more followers than the populations of Mexico, Canada, the U.K, Australia, and the U.S. combined.
- TikTok created an in-app e-commerce feature for sponsored challenges.
- TikTok drives ads on competitor platforms.
- TikTok is the only top 5 global app not owned by Facebook.
- TikTok will focus on safety and security in 2020.
- TikTok’s average engagement rate is 29%.