PB CAREERS: Staples – Director of Quality, Safety, and Regulatory Compliance
Do you love high-quality brands and products? Are you customer-obsessed and committed to deliver only the best? The Staples Product Brands team is powering the greatest assortment transformation in our company’s history and we need your expertise to change the way the world works.
We are looking for an experienced quality expert to join the team as our new Director of Quality, Safety and Regulatory Compliance. A successful candidate possesses quality, safety and regulatory experience, sound judgment, and a track record of working with consumer products. A leadership mindset and the ability to hold others accountable to high standards is a must!
The Director of Quality, Safety & Regulatory Compliance plays a critical role in the Product Brands organization. Reporting directly to the SVP of Product Brands, this position leads regulatory compliance, product safety, and post-launch quality programs for Staples’ portfolio of product brands.
- Direct strategies to ensure compliance with regulations prior to their implementation. Inform stakeholders of the ongoing status of proposed regulations throughout the world that could affect business (i.e. Conflict Mineral Act, CPSIA, REACH, CARB, etc.). Create the supporting SOPs, provide training and monitor compliance to ensure the procedures are consistently executed by the business teams
- Oversee the project management of the resolution of the Critical and Major issues that impact the supply chain (includes both corrective and preventive action). At the direction of the legal department, oversee the Product Safety Committee and execute the Product Brand team recall process when necessary.
- Assess product issues and determine next steps on product safety and other legal requirements as well as brand impression. Decide if correct action plans are adequate to quickly and effectively mitigate risk.
- Develop and direct product quality and compliance programs. Directly support the team members by working with service providers to build programs around their unique needs. Assist the team members in the execution of their goals and objectives in rolling out product quality and compliance strategies. Extend the programs to include after launch quality monitoring tools and processes.
- Develop and direct ethical sourcing programs including factory social audits and stakeholder reporting. Work with Asia Quality Team to follow-up with factories not in compliance to get letters of commitment written and corrective action plans developed and approved. Working with independent third-party auditors, follow-up and monitor implementation of action items. In cases of non-conformance, work with the business teams and SBC to develop and implement an exit strategy.
- Own the global relationship for 3rd party testing, inspection and audit partner. Conduct regular business reviews and lead program improvement initiatives.
- Ensure best in class customer service by indirectly managing 2 in-house product support call centers (providing training, coaching, products, and documentation on new products) as well as directly managing third party warranty & spare parts providers. Collate this voice of the customer information back to the product teams to drive continuous improvement.
Traits of success:
- Be comfortable collaborating and influencing team members including merchandising, sourcing, legal, supply chain, social compliance and product compliance.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills. Able to create sustainable solutions for complex global sourcing and distribution challenges. Ability to work well with diverse group of stakeholders and to motivate and influence team members with conflicting interests. Adept at writing technical documents and guidelines as well as standardized operational procedures.
- Quality, SA and Environmental program development skills that assure “best in class” products. Trained and experienced in applying the principles of quality management, auditing, statistical sampling, and ASQ/ANSI Inspection Standards to products and suppliers. Able to develop complex standardized procedures that are simple to follow providing a foolproof method of compliance.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required. Engineering and product development experience preferred.
- Minimum 10 + years of experience in quality, safety and regulatory compliance
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships within the Staples organization.
- Requires the ability to interpret complex international rules and regulations and develop compliance plans to prevent noncompliant product from entering the international supply chain.
- Have the technical aptitude to quickly grasp complex issues and communicate directly with technical teams.
Job: Product Brands Team
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values the diversity of our people, products, and services.