PB Careers: Safeway – Vice President, Own Brands Sales, and Marketing
Company Name: Safeway
Company Location San Francisco Bay Area
Albertsons Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in the United States, with a strong local presence on a national scale. The company operates over 2,300 stores under 19 well-known banners including Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen, and Carrs. Albertsons reported revenues of approximately $60 BN and is privately held.
The retail industry is undergoing dramatic changes driven by customer behavior across the entire lifecycle and we want you to be a part of the journey. Own Brands is a leading growth engine for our company with a portfolio of 9 brands including 4 $1BN brands across over 11,000 items generating over $12BN of revenue for the company. As the sales and marketing leader of this innovative group, you will be responsible for driving strategic go-to-market initiatives across our 19 banners nationally. It is an exciting time to join this dynamic group and grow your career with us.
The Vice President of Own Brands Sales and Marketing is responsible for overseeing a cross-functional team to develop and execute strategic go-to-market initiatives and plans to meet our business goals. These goals range from brand architecture and positioning to working with key stakeholders on top initiatives. This leader will represent and advocate for these top initiatives with corporate and division leadership as well as lead, inspire and motivate a Sales, Marketing and Brand team to make consumer insights into actionable items that grow annual sales, volume and penetration of the Own Brands portfolio.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the strategic direction, vision, and leadership of the Sales, Marketing and Brand team in creating and developing accountabilities and measures that deliver our sales units and profit targets for Albertsons OWN Brands.
- Lead the team to develop strategic roadmaps and business cases, analysis of the industry, market trends, consumer trends, competitors, growth opportunities, conducting market research, competitive analysis, developing financial budgets and models, and make recommendations to the Executive team.
- Direct and manage multiple, large, complex joint initiatives with our strategic supplier partners to maximize sales and volume for both companies
- Be our retail divisions’ number one partner and create a culture that proactively solves their needs and drives sales
- Lead the marketing and brand team to take Own Brands activation within digital, social, PR/influencer, and eCommerce to the next level, with an increased focus on these activities to drive awareness and preference of our brands and products
- Maintain the integrity of the brand and marketing budgets, including planning, tracking, measuring, and reconciling. Measure the sales impact and ROI of all tactics, in partnership with Finance, to ensure productive spend. Deliver annual budget targets (cost of goods, trade, marketing, QA)
- Work in partnership with the merchant team to develop customer category strategies that grow Albertsons business
- Drive the development and growth of talent within the department. Train, develop and coach team members to reach higher levels of performance and skill development (complexity and variety of work). Responsible for the development of succession plans, managing performance.
- Be an ambassador of Own Brands to Executive Leadership.
- Brings a strategic mindset and process skills to identify gaps and opportunities in the Albertsons Companies portfolio of brands.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, Marketing or related field.
- MBA preferred
Skills and Experiences:
- 10+ years in category management and business development, branding, strategic planning, and customer service
- 8+ years of demonstrated abilities in managing teams and developing others
- Expert at providing direction and successfully driving results in a complex organization by motivating, leading and influencing multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in applying new product stage-gate processes (opportunity, concept, development, commercialization, launch) and product improvement processes
- Expert in managing budgets and financial metrics
- Expert in leading multiple projects, cross-functional teams, and influencing others
- Ability to combine creative problem solving, consumer insight understanding and an aptitude for strategic thinking in a fluid environment
- Strong ability to analyze multiple and often disconnected data sources (target consumer trends and insights) and draw meaningful conclusions
- Financial understanding of all innovation metrics and measures
- Executive-level interpersonal and communication skills
- Dynamic, self-motivated, and the ability to act with a sense of urgency and integrity
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and syndicated data (IRI, Nielsen)
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by visiting https://www.albertsonscompanies.com/careers.html
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 25%
Diversity is fundamental at Albertsons-Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. A diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Albertsons-Safeway policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion and other conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status or any other legally protected status.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER