PB Careers: Fair Trade USA Business Development Manager, Retail & Food Service
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Term: Regular
Please note that our main office is in Oakland, CA but we are open to remote.
This position is responsible for increasing our positive impact on farmers, workers and fishermen across the globe by supporting retailers and foodservice channels in growing their assortment and sales of Fair Trade Certified™ products and helping them educate and celebrate those items with their customers and consumers. We are looking for an experienced team member to work with FTUSA’s current partners to grow their certified private brand and national brand items and coordinate communication strategies to celebrate their commitments with their shoppers.
Day-to-day, that means you will be (a) managing ongoing relationships with retailers and foodservice providers/ operators; (b) cultivating new relationships, educating on the importance of Fair Trade, and figuring out how to make Fair Trade work for their business; (c) enrolling private brand manufacturers and supporting the development of tools that help them sell their Fair Trade products; (d) project managing internally across FTUSA departments to ensure consistent strategy
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with FTUSA Retail team and peers to refine, implement and measure strategies to support retailers, foodservice operators/ distributors, brands and private brand manufacturers.
- Develop and manage new relationships with top retailers and foodservice operators/ distributors. Drive the sales process from prospecting to close, which will include cold calling and making formal presentations.
- Communicate the business, social and environmental advantages of Fair Trade certification to various levels of prospective partners in a way that it is understood, valued and demonstrated.
- Support existing FTUSA retailers, foodservice operators/ distributors, brands and private brand manufacturers on all day to day business needs, helping them to achieve their Fair Trade expansion goals and promote their Fair Trade Certified offerings.
- Work across the FTUSA organization to help ensure all teams are informed and enrolled in the retail and foodservice strategy and understand their individual contributions.
- Participate in industry conferences, tradeshows, and meetings as representative of Fair Trade USA.
- Work with the FTUSA marketing team and our partners on promotions and tools to maximize customer purchase and awareness.
- Seeks out opportunities for new industry partnerships in order to build the Fair Trade brand.
Strategy Development, Implementation, and Measurement:
- Supports the development, refinement, implementation, and measurement of retail and foodservice strategy
- Supports collection and composition of the business case of Fair Trade with internal teams, syndicated data providers and FTUSA partners
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in retail, food service or consumer brands working in corporate-level sales, new business development, marketing, account management, private brands or consulting.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and collaborate with your peers to achieve deliverables.
- Demonstrated selling success with complex programs and long-selling cycles. Knowledge in developing market acquisition strategy and implementation.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to move at the speed of business. Strong verbal and written communication skills – excellent at following up on leads.
- Comfortable interacting with everyone from Fortune 100 (can access the C suite) to smaller businesses, brands, and retailers. Strong public speaking skills.
- Comprehension of sustainable, economic, and social development programs and approaches. You believe deeply that most current approaches to the planet and its people do not work, and you want to make things better.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Takes initiative to problem-solve and provide innovative ideas and program improvements.
- Confident individual contributor but excels at collaboration and working as a team player with your peers, and external constituents to deliver the best results.
- Proficient in basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Salesforce.
- Willing to travel frequently to meet with partners, attend trade shows or industry events.
- Finally, you love the idea of bridging business strategy with sustainable development focused on the people and the planet. You’ll have one of the most rewarding jobs on the planet – we’re impactful, we’re entrepreneurial, and we’re fun!