Director, Chewy Brands
Chewy – Fort Lauderdale, FL
Chewy is looking for a Director, Consumables Product Development to join our exciting and fast-paced Chewy Brands team in Dania Beach, FL. We’re growing and if you are equally passionate about creating industry-leading brands, this opportunity at Chewy might be a great match! In this role, you’ll lead the Research and Development Team responsible for creating innovation and driving growth for our consumable Chewy brands. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of developing pet food and treats, strong technical and nutritional skills, and ability to work in a fast paced product development environment with cross-functional teams.
What you’ll do:
- Create, design and develop our private label pet food and treat products by collaborating with cross-functional team members (Supply Chain, Category Management, Quality Assurance, Regulatory and Marketing) as well as our manufacturing partners.
- Lead the creation and execution of a multi-million-dollar new product pipeline
- Use strong business skills to appropriately scope the technical development of pet products as well as drive innovation for the company.
- Manage and communicate technical complexity and project updates with external partners and within inter-departments.
- Deliver project success with the agreed upon metrics including cost, aesthetics, technical feasibility, commercial feasibility, and consumer acceptance.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot and resolve various project challenges with the support of cross-functional team members.
- Ability to track and manage timelines with external partners and within inter-departments.
- Ensure the commissioning process is successful during the launch of new products.
- Accountability will include formulation analysis, sourcing and recommending ingredients, interpreting nutritional results, setting up and interpreting feeding study results, evaluating statistical analysis, assessing process integration and co-packing feasibility, ensuring products are developed within nutritional regulatory and QA/Food Safety guidelines, ensuring product stability and conducting shelf-life testing.
What you’ll need:
- This position requires a BS/MS degree in a science field (e.g., Food Science, Meat Science, Animal Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Packaging, etc.) or equivalent experience in the industry.
- Depending on degree type/level, required minimum relevant experience will range from 10 to 15 years
- Strong professional and academic networks in the field of pet food or human food.
- Knowledge of USDA, FDA and AAFCO regulations as they relate to standards of identity, ingredients, nutrition labeling and label claims.
- Strong scientific knowledge of meat science principles as they relate to meat processing: kibble manufacturing, wet food manufacturing, treat manufacturing – freeze dried, jerky, biscuit, dehydrated, etc.
- Department/functional management experience
- Multi-functional team leadership and project management with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to drive process improvement
- Willingness to seek professional growth and development as the scope of the position increases
- Demonstrated integrity, maturity, professionalism, and sensitivity Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- May be required to travel up to 40%.
- Consumer product goods, e-commerce or retail experience preferred