MSC Industrial Supply: Director, Private Brands
Built to Make You Better.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have here at MSC Industrial Supply Co. If you are inspired to learn, expand your circle, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Requisition ID: 2596
Employment Type: Full Time
Grade: Exempt 20
Job Category: Category Management
Work Location: Davidson, NC (CSC)
State or Province: North Carolina (US-NC)
Potential Work Location: United States : North Carolina : Davidson
Brief Position Summary
The Director, Exclusive Brands will lead our teams located in the US and China. This role is accountable for leading the portfolio of Exclusive Brands, which includes defining the strategic direction of our brand structure, product development processes, and go to market strategies. The Director leads a team that is responsible for working across our category management organization to develop assortment and sourcing strategies to procure products from the best manufacturers from around the world. This position requires a strong awareness of what it takes to build brand identities, including the ability to take these brands to market through digital channels, and a large-scale sales organization. This position dives deep leveraging internal and external data, including the voice of the customer, to develop strategic direction and drive long term growth for the Exclusive Brands business.
DUTIES And RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for maximizing revenues, margins, and growth creating strategic plans for growth across each brand.
- Understands how product life cycle management and how to drive revenue growth through activities including, but not limited to: assortment strategy and vision, developing assortment road maps, new product introductions, brand management, pricing, forecasting, along with the creation and execution of marketing programs.
- Implements the appropriate programs to either internally develop, contract manufacture, license or source the appropriate products with the goal of driving revenue and profitability growth of the category portfolio. Through direct management of APO General Manager as well as visits to China, ensures the effective functioning, successful goal attainment, and increasing productivity of the global sourcing office
- Global Sourcing – accountable for the management and results of approximately 25 associates of the APO sourcing team which drives revenue growth through global portfolio expansion to both find new products and resource current products. Develop new & current suppliers to enhance our competitive position.
- Partner with cross-functional business team to translate brand and product strategy into integrated marketing plans, tactics and customer experience.
- Negotiates private label and contract agreements with exclusive rights to expand unique, proprietary and private label products for the business.
- Works with category strategy teams to develop sales forecasts for annual plans and new product introductions accurately and effectively. Monitor and analyze performance metrics for the product lines making any necessary adjustments to meet goals and objectives.
- Works with Pricing teams to develop and implement appropriate and effective pricing strategies by channel.
- Understands the strengths and weaknesses of competitor’s products and strategies via competitive data gathering and capture. Creates effective gap analysis summaries.
- Stays current on market direction and drivers through a variety of means including direct interactions with customers, outside suppliers, partners, and industry contacts.
- Ensures all the necessary product and technical information and content for the introduction of new products.
EDUCATION And EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A / B.S) in business, marketing or supply chain required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in brand management, marketing, or vendor management.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in people leadership required. Experience leading managers and teams preferred.
- Experience in product management/product development, brand management, marketing or strategic sourcing preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects – prioritization, planning and time management
- Industry-related experience in industrial markets; global preferred.
- Contract negotiations with detailed and complex terms in such areas as pricing, delivery, support, and services.
- A high level of initiative and creativity and ability to work autonomously.
- Experience defining new business strategies, planning and executing with a sense of urgency
- Ability to synthesize large quantities of and complex data into usable/actionable information
- Strong organizational skills to merge multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines related to various task and initiatives, organize own work. Must be flexible to address immediate priorities and still manage deadlines with longer-term projects and strategic initiatives.
- Must possess strong negotiation skills to independently negotiate and manage a relationship with external suppliers/management.
- Proficient in standard computer applications, with excellent skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint and Access. Must be able to obtain
- Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, efficiently works under pressures, within deadlines or other time essential constraints.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to clearly and concisely communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Strong work ethic and an ability to excel within a rapidly changing and growing organization
- Entrepreneurial mindset with comfort in corporate environments, ability to challenge and transform the status quo
- Proven background of leading teams, understands change management, and the ability to transform an organization to enable scaling for future growth
- A valid state driver’s license and the ability to travel 15%-20% of the time is required
Equal Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.