The February edition of Trader Joe’s iconic Fearless Flyer includes an announcement to customers announced the retailer’s commitment to reducing plastic and other private brand packaging waste.
“As we fulfill these steps in 2019, on an annual basis, we are eliminating more than one million pounds of plastic from our stores,” the Fearless Flyer reads. “Thank you; we’re listening.”
The commitment from Trader Joe’s includes:
- Eliminate single-use plastic grocery bags in stores nationwide
- Replace plastic produce bags with biodegradable and compostable options.
- Replace styrofoam trays in produce packaging with compostable trays.
- Sell more produce as loose items, instead of bagged in plastic
- Eliminate plastic sleeves on greeting cards, replacing them with a compostable material
- Eliminate plastic wrappers for flower bouquets, replacing them with a renewable material
Trader Joe’s didn’t give any further detail about how they would reduce other private brand packaging waste.