2018 was a watershed year for Private Brand and a great year for My Private Brand, readership and subscribers grew significantly making the site the most widely read daily Private Brand site in the world. The Vertex Awards celebrated its 5th anniversary with a record number of entries. The Velocity Conference dodged a hurricane and still saw 25% growth and we announced the expansion of the Velocity Conference to Europe in 2019.
We continued to push the envelope with first to market stories, insights, and strategy including stories on Safeway, Kroger, Target, Walmart, Meijer, Lowe’s, Sam’s Club and Hy-Vee just to name a few.
Looking back on 2018, five stories dominated the conversation on My Private Brand. I dare say those stories will also help shape the zeitgeist of 2019.
“I want to challenge your thinking about Walmart.”
Walmart President and CEO, Doug McMillon presented a bold vision at its annual meeting for the investment community. That vision was brought to life in 2018 through innovation, acquisition and a commitment to private brand.
Target Reinvents Its Private Brand Portfolio
This year, the retailer continued the aggressive reinvention of its private brand portfolio with the launch of eight new, private brands across. From Universal Thread, Prologue, Wild Fable and Original Use in apparel and accessories, to Opalhouse and Made By Design in home, Smartly in beauty and essentials and Heyday in electronics
Jet.com wins the Vertex Awards Best of Show
Jets win marks not only the first time in the history of the Vertex Awards an American retailer has won Best of Show but also the first time an online retailer has taken the honor.
Take a look back at the top stories of the year based on your readership, change and growth dominate the list with three positions, however, it is interesting to note that a number of opinion pieces drew a lot of attention.
What was your favorite story?
- Vertex Awards New York Gala Celebrates “Awesome” Private Brands
- Doug McMillon: “I want to challenge your thinking about Walmart.”
- Target Accelerates Multiyear Strategy
- Kroger’s Simple Truth Brand Reaches $2 Billion
- Manifesto for a Private Brand Revolution
- The New York Times: Everything on Amazon Is Amazon!
- Loblaws Redesigns and Reenergizes President’s Choice
- Online Disruptors Boxed, Jet and Brandless Redefine Private Brand
- Amazon, the New York Times and The Destruction of Brands
- Ahold Delhaize Wins With Private Brand
- Five Private Brand Package Design Trends to Watch
- Costco Debuts Kirkland Signature Razors
- 7‑Eleven Adds Cold Pressed Organic Juice to 7-Select Go!Smart
- CVS – Designed to be Different
- O Organics Becomes a $1b Brand
- ALDI Goes Vegan With Earth Grown
- Waitrose Unveils New “Free From” Food Private Brand
- ASDA Sparkles With Nosecco
- Albertsons Expands Signature Reserve
- Albert Heijn Innovates With Sauces