Location: 10850 Via Frontera – NSC Building 1, San Diego, CA 92127
Schedule: Full Time
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
To conceptualize and create appealing and innovative product designs for multiple product categories on a daily basis and in a consistent and fashion-forward manner that result in timely products that are functional, of high quality and align with trend concepts and margin goals; and collaborate with Product Development associates and manufacturers to ensure that final products align with design concepts and specifications, including turnaround drawings , 2D applied designs utilizing CAD skills, and hand drawings.
This position plays a key role in the design and development of Private Brand products (multiple categories). The incumbent is responsible for creating, developing and managing product design initiatives, often in cross-functional collaboration with other Petco associates. Consequently, it is imperative that he/she demonstrate strong creative and project management skills and be open-minded to accept and effectively respond to constructive criticism.
Essential Job Functions
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Develop and design products to be produced in our Private Brand labels; accomplish tasks within the schedule and budget parameters.
- Produce vendor-ready designs that can be easily understood and executed by our suppliers/ or, to turn over to technical designers for the functional part of the drawings.
- Create plan-o-grams with various product categories when reviewing new programs with product developers.
- Provide design, product specification, and sample review/follow-up through the manufacturing process as needed.
- Manage multiple design projects with tight deadlines, switching priorities quickly and simultaneously without losing momentum.
- Review opportunities within the business and develop creative concepts around elements that are missing.
- Collaborate with technical designers to ensure that drawings are created in the CAD system for functional pieces of the products.
- Interpret trends and feedback from various business partners into creative concepts to ultimately become product lines that will meet PETCO’s quality, cost, and innovation standards and goals.
- Review and interpret what works and what does not in order to develop into saleable products; as needed successfully advocate position/point-of-view.
- Create designs that work for all product mediums, including cut and sew for plush, beds, and apparel, plastics, metals, ceramics, graphics, and more.
- Execute 3D turnaround hand drawings, as well as graphic designs (inclusive of airbrushed rendered artwork), and line art.
- Create trend boards that accurately forecast new products or improvements to current products that will have a high probability of being well-suited for existing and potential PETCO customers.
- Maintain effective, collaborative relationship with Product Development, manufacturers, etc. in order to ensure design aesthetics are maintained, as well increase items quality and profit margin.
- Perform other related duties, tasks, and responsibilities as required, assigned and directed.
No administrative supervisory responsibility, however, the incumbent must be able to effectively coordinate and facilitate the process for product design from start to finish, including data collection, timeline management, and managing external consultants, and files being sent to vendors.
Most tasks are performed while seated indoors at a personal computer. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Education and Experience:
Normally requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Product, Industrial or Fashion Design or Illustration. Requires a minimum of four years related experience. Experience should have involved: 1) Designing within a hard-line category (i.e: jewelry, home product/ giftware, toys, etc.); 2) Designing within a soft line category (ie: apparel, handbags, bedding, etc.); 3) Designing for licensed branded product and/ or private label product; 4) Interacting with brand merchandisers, overseas vendors, licensors, and sales. Requires the ability to analyze and evaluate new designs and design modifications from a budgetary or financial standpoint. Requires experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment as well as the ability to self-manage deadlines. Must be self-motivated and results-oriented with the ability to function effectively as a team member yet work independently. Requires the ability to influentially communicate conceptual ideas within a highly collaborative design process, including giving and receiving feedback on design work. Provide presentation materials, product mockups, concept boards and other materials for new product concept reviews, sales pitches, and product launches. Must be able to keep abreast of current trends in color, fashion, and competitive products. Requires strong computer skills with knowledge of Adobe Suite: Photoshop and Illustrator, CS5 or higher in MAC, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Hand drawing/sketching skills are also a must. Knowledge of and/or experience with CAD software optional. Requires a high level of creativity and fashion trend knowledge. Must be a team player with leadership skills. Must be able to graciously receive constructive criticism and apply it to designs and work processes. An understanding of 3D programs, such as SolidWorks is preferred.