Continente Committed to Growing Private Brand

Portuguese retailer Continente has introduced 300 new SKUs in its private brand portfolio in 2018. According to Pedro Bruno, Commercial Director for Private Label of Sonae MC, of the 4,000 SKUs sold under its private brands, more than 60% are produced in Portugal. The remaining 40% are sourced from more than 20 different markets, with Spain being the second-largest source, accounting for 15% to 20% of the total.

In addition, 90% of the milk sold in Continente stores is Portuguese, as is 99% of the canned fish, while 100% of the coffee capsules are produced in Portugal, as are all french fries, bath gel and liquid soaps, sauces, and bottled water.

At an Open House in October held by Continente Bruno told attendees that in 2019 the retailer will focus its efforts on the expansion of its Equilíbrio and Seleção lines. Although these ranges currently account for just 8% and 4% of private brand sales respectively, both brands have seen double-digit growth.

The Bio private brand, consisting of 50 products, will also be grow threw out the year, with anticipated triple-digit growth.

Over the past year, 96% of Continente customers purchased at least one private brand product. Overall, private brand accounts for 30% of sales at Continente stores.

Please follow and like us:
Previous articleSears Iconic Private Brand Originals
Next articleKroger Unveils It’s Top Food Trends for 2019
Christopher Durham
Christopher Durham is the president of My Private Brand and the co-founder of The Vertex Awards. He is a strategist, author, consultant and retailer who built brands at Delhaize-owned Food Lion, and lead strategy and brand development for Lowe’s Home Improvement. He has consulted with retailers around the world on their private brand portfolios including: Family Dollar, Petco, Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, Metro (Canada), TLW (Taiwan) and Hola (Taiwan). Durham has published five definitive books on private brands, including his first book, Fifty2: The My Private Brand Project. In 2017, he will debut his newest book, Vanguard: Vintage Originals, a visual tour of innovation and disruption in private brand going back to the mid-1800’s. Dynamic in his presentation while down to earth and frank in his opinions, he has presented at numerous conferences, including FUSE, The Dieline Conference, Packaging that Sells, Omnishopper and PLMA’a annual trade show in Chicago. Durham lives in Charlotte, NC with his wife, Laraine, and two daughters, Olivia and Sarah.