Requisition ID: 2018-164980
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 14,500 retail locations in 44 states, 15 distribution centers and 130,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America’s fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let’s grow together!
Responsible for delivering Private Brand sales, profit, and share goals, both at total company level and in specific assigned categories. Assist Private Brand VP, Merch VP’s/SVP’s, and Buyers in developing and planning the selection and purchase of PB merchandise. Leads and assists Brand Management team in developing the business unit strategy and tactics to support overall PB strategies and initiatives, including assortment, sales planning, advertisement/marketing, pricing and vendor relationships. Mentor, coach and assist in problem-solving with Brand Management team on item selection, financials, replenishment, negotiations, and overall brand management … to achieve sales and margin goals for the business.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the growth of Private Brands through the development of merchandising strategies, marketing programs, promotional programs, and new products.
- Work collaboratively with the merchandising team as the company’s private label expert providing support and leadership to maximize category sales and profits.
- Mentor, coach, and assist Brand Manager Direct Reports
- Ensure the effective use of both internal and external data to help establish business opportunities and to track performance against corporate business plan.
- Ensure the performance of the items within the category in relationship to sales, gross, profits, penetration.
- Develop business reviews (category assessment); identify consumer, category and private label opportunities.
- Indirectly lead cross-functional teams of marketing, packaging, sourcing, quality assurance, and product development to develop new products, improve existing products and market the brand to consumers.
Knowledge, Skillsand Abilities (KSA’s):
- Demonstrated results-oriented financial leadership and strategic sourcing experience negotiating advanced supply contracts.
- Strong analytical and financial skills (e.g. ability to understand and impact a profit & loss statement) in the areas of financial controls and forecasting.
- Strong understanding of the dynamics of negotiating product and interpersonal knowledge of how to achieve Dollar General’s goals.
- Demonstrated ability in building new brands and revitalizing existing brands.
- Ability to lead and manage change with a positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively recruit, assess and develop personnel – Strong “hands-on” performance management abilities.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management.
- Strategic planning skills to identify opportunities and develop plans and methodologies to achieve those opportunities.
- Knowledge of specific categories, including market trends, item cost, competitive issues and logistical issues to help facilitate customer satisfaction. Ability to manage across multiple category disciplines.
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment while maintaining an enthusiastic sense of mission.
- Strong problem-solving skills, utilizing technical expertise and good business judgment in support of operational and strategic objectives.
Work Experience &/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration or appropriate discipline preferred. 10+ years of relevant merchandising experience required. Previous experience as a Senior Buyer and/or Manager in a sourcing or PB role required with sales responsibilities of $500 Million or more.