Dania Beach, FL
Amazon changed how we shop for books. Netflix transformed the way we watch movies. At Chewy, we’re changing the way people shop for their pets. We do this by offering our customers the easiest way to get the premium products they want for their beloved pets and back it with unparalleled customer service. We strive to win at everything we do and we believe in ownership and accountability. We aim to wow our customers and our employees at every turn, whether that means bending over backward to gain our customers’ trust and loyalty or by building a creative and stimulating work environment for our employees. Trust us. You’ll notice the difference from the moment you become a candidate with us.
We approach our mission to provide the best service and pet products anywhere with a dogged determination and a disposition that’s as sunny as the South Florida oceanfront we call home. Sure, we work hard, but we have fun, too. Of course, that’s not hard to do when you get to bring your favorite four-legged friend to the office.
Chewy is looking for a Design, Trend & Global Sourcing Manager for our headquarters in Dania Beach, FL. This person will drive the execution of the design, trend & global sourcing initiative by supporting the Director of Private Label. The primary goal is to reduce the cost of goods sold by driving increases in direct sourcing via private brands and spurring innovation and design while also increasing the quality of the final product delivered to our pets and their parents.
What you’ll do:
- Manage and develop Chewy.com’s hard lines private label program. Pull sales from our system to determine the best products for us to develop based on current sales and margin.
- Be aware of our 3-year private label forecasts and develop a plan to achieve these goals.
- Develop a relationship with vendors in order to ensure the consistency of their raw materials, ingredients, and final private label goods production. Adapt to different fashion sectors to come up with an analysis that can predict future trends in the ever-changing marketplace.
- Be able to take basic fashion print/trends and incorporate them across several hard goods pet product lines.
- Design and interpret trends for the majority of customers looking to buy pet goods a step above current basic products.
- Forecast and predict the mood and behavior of our target market including why and how people buy pet products based on their culture, mood, tastes, and their location.
- Prepare to use charts, graphs, and computer programs to produce numerical data that will guide the direction of our hard-line products.
- Consistently stay on top of the wave by constantly studying trends around you, providing a fresh perspective, and staying tough about hurdles you encounter.
- Manage the overall project timeline, lead weekly cross-functional team meetings, identify risks that may affect the timeline and lead efforts to mitigate risks. Communicate the project status to all cross-functional team members.
- Partner closely with the Category Director to develop the product roadmap and provide financials, feasibility, timelines, resources, and consumer insights that will form the basis of essential product features.
- Develop new hardline goods products(metal crates, soft crates, toys, beds, cat trees, exercise pens, gates, bowls, and leashes, etc) to ensure our private label growth.
- Travel to current suppliers in the USA but mainly Asia to monitor production and look to expand the current business.
- Travel to new supplier partners to gauge their capacity, opportunities, and quality levels. On-line research, visiting shows or knowledge of current pet hard line vendor base is a plus.
- Participate in on-site vendor meetings and participate in conference calls with current vendors, new vendors, trading agents, freight forwarders, etc.
- Work with Quality Assurance team to make sure all product legal requirements are met or exceeded.
- Work with our agent and the 3rd party testing labs top make sure ALL pet regulatory standards are met or exceeded.
- Develop product solutions in support of the Merchandising direction and ensure that the Company’s goals of product innovation and quality are achieved.
- A strong focus on product quality and production from Private Label Vendor Partners for all aspects including but not limited to – raw materials, production, packaging, final products, etc.
- Responsible for the overall management of product development and sourcing activities from project planning to delivery of product to in-store opportunities.
- Lead/participate in cross functional teams/meetings.
- Ability to work with multiple internal groups – Private Label Team, Merchandising, Marketing, Logistics, Legal, Replenishment, Supply Chain, Customer Service, ect..
- Partner with teams in regards to issues relating to regulatory compliance.
- Partner with vendors and merchandising teams on packaging quality improvements.
- Engage and partner with all suppliers (raw materials and packaging) to drive quality upstream in the Supply Chain.
- Understand assigned category including sales, competition, marketing, and product offerings.
- Identify and communicate all sales, margin, and marketing opportunities for Private Brand products.
- Monitor all Private Brand product performance based on sales, margin, and sell-through.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Engineering is preferred or previous experience in private label or branded hard goods.
- A combination of education, training, and experience that results in demonstrated abilities to perform the work may be substituted.
- Demonstrated Project Management skills. Excellent Communication and Leadership skills.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities and interpersonal skills essential.
- Excellent computer skills, including the ability to use software for data analysis, word processing and presentation.
- E-commerce skills are a must, as you’ll need to use the web to track consumer traffic, blog posts, and generate social media hype around certain styles and trends.
- Have experience in design and couture, as well as a historical knowledge of fashion.
- This job requires careful analysis, keen observation, and meticulous detail.
- Daily communication with U.S. private brand team, agents, China QA, and vendors.
- Knowledge and experience working with third-party testing labs.
- Previous experience with pet Hard Line goods is a preferred plus but not needed.
- Knowledge of all current pet industry regulations is desired.
- Pet parent preferred.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25% of the time.