About Fair Trade USA
Fair Trade USA, a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine’s Social Capitalist award, promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. We are an entrepreneurial, non-profit organization and the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the U.S. Our unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farming families in the developing world to almost 800 leading US companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships. Fair Trade allows farming families to improve their living standards and cultivate hope for the future while protecting the environment. At the same time, we strengthen global supply chains and make sustainability a driver of profitability for the business community. Since 1999, Fair Trade USA has generated over $400 million in additional income to hardworking farmers and farm workers around the world.
Fair Trade USA is a fast-paced, dynamic environment driven by a passion for doing good in the world. We seek bright, talented changemakers who are passionate about our mission. We are social entrepreneurs, flexible and adaptive to change. We value integrity, innovation, idealism and impact.
Overview of Position
The CPG Retail Specialist is responsible for increasing our positive impact on farmers, workers and fishermen across the globe by supporting national retailers in growing their assortment and sales of Fair Trade Certified™ products. We are looking for an experienced team member to work with FTUSA’s current retail partners to grow their certified private brand items, ensure a good assortment of national brands and develop communication strategies to celebrate their commitments with their shoppers.
Day-to-day, that means you will be (a) managing ongoing relationships with top national grocery retailers; (b) cultivating new relationships, educating on the importance of Fair Trade, and figuring out how to make Fair Trade work for their business; (c) enroll private brand manufacturers and create tools that help them sell their Fair Trade products; (d) project management internally across FTUSA departments to ensure consistent strategy.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with FTUSA Business Development Manager and peers to implement strategies to support retailers and private brand manufacturers.
- Develop and manage relationships with top national retailers. Drive the sales.
- Communicate the business, social and environmental advantages of Fair Trade certification to various levels to external parties in a way that it is understood, valued and demonstrated.
Account Management & Support-
- Support existing FTUSA private brand partners and retailers on all day to day.
- Work across the FTUSA organization to help ensure all teams are informed of each’s individual contributions at retail.
- Work with the FTUSA marketing department and our partners on promotions and tools to maximize consumer outreach.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with retailer and consumer brands working in corporate level sales, new business development, marketing account management, or consulting.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and collaborate with your peers to achieve deliverables.
- Demonstrated selling success with complex programs and long-selling cycles. Knowledge in developing market acquisition strategy and implementation.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to move at the speed of business. Strong verbal and written communication skills – excellent at following up on leads.
- Comfortable interacting with everyone from Fortune 100 (can access the C suite) to smaller businesses, brands and retailers. Strong public speaking skills.
- Comprehension of sustainable, economic, and social development programs and approaches. You believe deeply that most current approaches to the planet and its people doesn’t work, and you want to make things better.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Takes initiative to problem-solve and provide innovative.
- Confident individual contributor, but excels at collaboration and working as a team player with your peers, and external constituents to deliver the best results.
- Proficient basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Salesforce.
- Can travel frequently to meet with prospective partners, attend trade shows or industry events.
- Loves the idea of bridging business strategy with sustainable development focused on the people and the planet. You’ll have one of the most rewarding jobs on the planet – we’re impactful, we’re entrepreneurial, and we’re fun!
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to the attention of Abby Ayers, CPG Business Development Manager – Retail. More information is available on our Careers page: https://www.fairtradecertified.org/why-fair-trade/careers.