After a long lull of retailers retrenching their private brand portfolios and implementing gradual if often dull evolution 2017 was a year of massive disruption. 1,000 of store closings saws the pundits proclaiming a retail apocalypse while Lidl invaded the US, Aldi expanded globally, Amazon lept wholeheartedly into private brand and then into bricks and mortar with the acquisition of Whole Foods. These events combined with the rise of millennials, dominance of Google, mobile’s ascendancy, Twitter’s zeitgeist moment and the evolving expectations of consumers have forced retailers to re-evaluate their private brands.
Cumulatively it has created the most exciting period in private brand in the last 50 years and a banner year for My Private Brand. This list of our top 20 stories of the 2017 demonstrates the dramatic changes the year brought.
Not surprisingly the years Vertex Award winner’s stories performed very well, Don’t forget to enter this year’s awards. As well as our inaugural Velocity: The My Private Brand Conference and Christopher Durham’s new book Vanguard: Vintage Originals.
- Vertex Awards IV: Gold Winners
- Vertex Awards IV: Bronze Winners
- Vertex Awards IV: Silver Winners
- A look inside Christopher Durham’s New Book Vanguard: Vintage Originals
- Don’t Miss Velocity: The My Private Brand Conference
- Amazon Debuts Wickedly Prime
- Amazon to Acquire Whole Foods
- 5 Things To Know About Target’s New Brands Before They Launch
- Inside Lidl Package Design
- Kroger Debuts Prep + Pared Meal Kits
- Nielsen Reports that Private Brand Gains Share
- Walgreens Makes Nice! Even Nicer
- Boxed Innovates With Private Brand
- Kroger Dramatically Grows Private Brand
- Lidl: Inside the Private Brand Portfolio
- Ahold Delhaize Announces Senior Staff
- Fresh Thyme Launches An Essential Oils Range
- Vertex Awards IV Winners Announced
- Lowe’s to Sell Once Iconic Private Brand Craftsman Tools
- Daymon Worldwide & Advantage Announce Merge