Job Posting: Dec 15, 2017
Primary Location: Minnesota-Hopkins
Develops a consumer-centric business model by interacting at the broadest level with PBMs of other categories to drive efficiencies across the organization. Has the ability to lead and influence, to enable them to successfully work cross-functionally with banner and corporate partners. Manages vendor relationships, negotiates terms and manages funds for its category (manages categories on a national scale). Establishes priorities, defines and refines assortment and presentation, and sets pricing guidelines and tactics.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Manages Private Brands Portfolio of items within assigned categories.
- Develops new items across all Private Brands within assigned categories.
- Works with Private Brands’ marketing, packaging, quality assurance, and product development to develop new products or improve existing products.
- Leads negotiations in assigned categories (in partnership with merchandising in some areas)
- Develops new, and continuously improves processes to enhance efficiency and reduce costs.
- Develops a strategic Category Business Plan. (CBP)
- Identifies consumer, category, and Private Brand opportunities.
- Develops annual and quarterly category merchandising strategy and plans based on evaluation of past performance, consumer and competitive/company trends with a focus on current banner insights.
- Analyzes and develops consumer integrated business plans in collaboration with vendors.
- Develops innovative new products, programs, and processes to deliver industry differentiation within the category.
- Utilizes category scorecards and consumer insights to identify trends that lead to alignment of sales and profit goals and commitments.
- Actively reviews on everyday pricing targets by region/banner and recommends necessary adjustments based on pricing goals consistent with strategy.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, Marketing, Management or related field preferred. MBA preferred.
- 2 + years of category management experience preferred.
- 5 + years of new product development experience preferred.
- Has an in-depth understanding of store operations and merchandising methodologies and practices (P&L, financial management, etc.), greater depth of specific category expertise may be required on a case-by-case basis.
- Market/consumer research experience where a good understanding of marketing, merchandising, consumer research.
- Strong knowledge base in supermarket retail and an understanding of consumer behavior in relation to product performance.
- Detailed understanding of cause-effect relations between operational levers and performance (assortment/price vs. volume/margins) by utilizing financial, statistical, merchandising, marketing, and/or consumer research background.
- Proven ability to work successfully across all areas of the Company; can successfully monitor performance; strong client management skills, particularly working with vendors.
- Ability to influence and lead effective partnerships with the banners; can thrive in a complicated matrix environment.
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation; leverages fresh perspectives, breakthrough ideas, and new paradigms to create value in the market.
- Demonstrate ability to understand and think big picture; delivers category plans and programs that compliment both the corporate and departmental strategies leading to strong category sales and profit performance.
Why Work for SUPERVALU?
As one of the largest grocery wholesalers and retailers in the United States, SUPERVALU is dedicated to feeding our communities by providing innovative, customer-centric solutions. We deliver on that promise every day through a strong network of 30,000 talented employees who supply the best national brands and our own high-quality and affordable private label products to thousands of customers, and millions of consumers, nationwide. With a wide variety of services and industry-leading expertise, SUPERVALU offers you the opportunity to shape the food industry through every stage of your career.
A GREAT PLACE TO GROW!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status. SUPERVALU is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.