Overall responsibility for Owned Brands sales and profit for assigned division and categories. Responsible for making customer-led recommendations to meet and exceed Company, Division, and individual targets for sales and profit through working with key stakeholders throughout the Company. Manage several diverse categories simultaneously and oversee the vision, strategy, and execution of key OB initiatives that require significant cross-functional collaboration while managing direct reports. This senior manager is expected to demonstrate strategic creative thinking, be able to thrive in the ambiguity of innovation while inspiring teams to deliver results through commercialization with an overall optimistic and “can do” attitude.
- Set targets for sales and gross profit for assigned division as well as categories. Works with Divisional Merchandise Managers and Category Managers to meet established sales, profit and owned brand penetration goals.
- Leads cross functional team to define customer-led product specifications and ensure product submission meets or exceeds consumer expectations. Develops assigned divisional and specific categories; stays abreast of consumer and category trends as well as market changes. Maintains knowledge of competition and applies information as necessary to grow sales and profit.
- Planning and Forecasting: Understanding how to forecast demand for both short term and long term sales; must have a solid understanding of logistics and the effect on store and warehouse fill rates, inventory, and shelf life and the results these areas have on Company profitability.
- Accountability for budget and owner of annual planning and 3 year strategic planning processes needs to collaborate with insights and finance teams to develop new product pipeline, sku rationalization, sales/profit as well as planning and forecasting. Identifies new customer-led revenue generating opportunities for overall business.
- Works cross functionally with sourcing team to identify manufacturers and suppliers that align to our strategic platforms that deliver on our new product development criteria. Knows the entire “lifecycle” process and how it affects product costs, product availability, sales and profitability.
- Develops assigned divisional and category priorities through new product development, which may include but not limited to innovation, product enhancements, reformulation, sign off of mechanical artwork files and packaging and repackaging ideas.
- Leads new product development process for division and specified categories. This includes category enhancement as well as full compliance for the “stage gate process.”
- Leads cross functionally to drive Integrated Activity Planning by division and category that deliver on the brand strategy.
- Cultivates a high performing and engaged team through continuous training and mentorship, setting obtainable performance goals, and providing clear communication and constructive feedback. Develops onboarding materials for new personnel.
- Works cross functionally with E-commerce and Digital team on divisional and category level activations that adhere to Brand guardrails.
- Manages legal queries and recalls. This includes setting the strategy for state/local issues.
- Develops promotional plans (ad recommendations, ad shadowing, month long events, off-shelf programs etc.) for division and categories that are aligned to brand strategy.
Walgreens, one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.#LI-MM2
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 6 years of experience in Merchandising, Product Development or Marketing OR High School Diploma/GED and 9 years of experience in Merchandising, Product Development or Marketing.
- Proven experience with related financial modeling and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience using retail data such as Nielsen or IRI to drive reported business results.
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience collaborating with internal resources and external stakeholders to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines.
- Knowledge of retail store merchandising including placement and promotion.
- Knowledge of logistics and the effect on store and warehouse fill rates, inventory, and shelf life, and the results these areas have on Company profitability.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 3 years of experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- MBA or Master’s Degree.
- Knowledge of at least one of the following areas: OTC, Beauty, Grocery, Seasonal goods (décor, tabletop, apparel).
- Knowledge and experience in owned brands, CPG, or retail.
- Experience with product development in a global organization.
Job ID 14330BR
Location 4050 COMMERCIAL AVE, NORTHBROOK, IL