Responsible for assigned Owned Brands category sales and profit development through category, market, and product trend knowledge and application. Makes customer-led recommendations to meet and exceed Company, Division, and individual targets for Sales and Profit through working with key stakeholders throughout the Company. Manages several diverse categories simultaneously. This manager is expected to demonstrate strategic creative thinking, be able to thrive in the ambiguity of innovation while inspiring teams to deliver results through commercialization with an overall optimistic and “can do” attitude.
- Sets targets for sales and gross profit for assigned categories. Works with Category Managers to meet established sales, profit and owned brand penetration goals.
- Leads cross functional team to define customer opportunity, product specification and ensure product submission meet or exceed consumer expectations. Develops assigned categories; stays abreast of category trends and market changes. Maintains knowledge of competition and applies information as necessary to grow sales and profit.
- Knows how to forecast demand for both short term and long term sales; must have a solid understanding of logistics and the effect on store and warehouse fill rates, inventory, and shelf life, and the results these areas have on Company profitability.
- Works with external partners and industry experts to develop a strategic relationship to identify product and packaging innovation and meet corporate requirements on service. Knows the entire new product innovation cycle and how it affects consumer response to product performance.
- Develops assigned categories through new product development, reformulation and packaging ideas.
- Serves as key Owned Brand product expert within category strategy process, regular S&OP meetings, strategic product lifecycle plan and regular cross functional meetings led by Category Manager.
- Steers end-to-end Owned Brand commercialization process ownership and management (direct and influenced). Follows processes that ensure owned brand participation is seamlessly integrated and aligned with relevant internal teams – merchant, sourcing, technical product development, etc.
- Leads owned brand integrated activity plan for assigned categories.
- Leads regular updates with regulatory/legal departments to ensure all products have appropriate claim substantiation.
- Understands core brand tenets and guardrails to deliver best quality product within expected guidelines.
- Cultivates direct report(s) through continuous training and mentorship, setting obtainable performance goals, and providing clear communication and constructive feedback.
Walgreens, one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com and VisionDirect.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 4 years of experience in Merchandising, Product Development, Marketing OR High School Diploma/GED and 7 years of experience in Merchandising, Product Development, Marketing.
- Experience with related financial modeling and analysis.
- Experience using retail data such as Nielsen or IRI.
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience collaborating with internal resources and external stakeholders to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines.
- Knowledge of retail store merchandising including placement and promotion.
- Knowledge of logistics and the effect on store and warehouse fill rates, inventory, and shelf life, and the results these areas have on Company profitability.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 2 years experience of cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Knowledge and experience in private brands, CPG, or retail.
- MBA or Master’s Degree.
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Northbrook, IL, US