PB CAREERS: Walgreens – Senior Brand Manager
4050 COMMERCIAL AVE,
NORTHBROOK, IL 60062
The Senior Brand Manager is responsible for a portfolio of owned brands within designated product categories, including: brand development and strategy, pricing tier strategy, consumer and customer understanding, innovation roadmap and strategic marketing plan direction. In this role, the senior brand manager will work directly with cross-functional team members to develop brand and product strategies. This person will lead the creation of the brand vision, promise, and personality while creating deep understanding of the consumer/customer/shopper. This will ensure there is a consistent and holistic message inside and outside Walgreens, to our team members and shoppers/customers. The position is charged with working closely with internal and external partners to identify incremental growth opportunities that leverage the strength of our core. This is a critical role to drive our aggressive growth objectives and to fulfill our strategic plan commitments as a top priority for Walgreens. The senior brand manager is expected to demonstrate strategic creative thinking, be able to thrive in the ambiguity of innovation while inspiring teams to deliver results through commercialization with an overall optimistic and “can do” attitude.
- Leads portfolio of brands within assigned categories to create a consumer-led brand vision that includes setting brand guardrails and leading the brand management team who work cross-functionally to maintain ongoing compliance with brand guardrails.
- Inspire, lead, develop and motivate a team of high performing Brand Managers and Associate Brand Managers by managing processes to ensure that the team is as effective as possible to meet business goals.
- Sets long range targets for assigned brand(s) for sales, gross profit and guide long-term product development objectives. Manage the Global Brand Portfolio Review process.
- Ability to design an Integrated Activities Plan for brands that includes innovation steering, white space development, competitive analysis, campaign development and marketing activities.
- Directs and manages e-commerce platform for brands, including Walgreens.com and social media activities.
- Directs criteria for agency selection to meet brand design, positioning, and research needs.
- Collaborates with Retail Marketing to develop and provide direction on annual brand promotional plans for the assigned brand and works with the appropriate owned brand commercialization manager and category managers to ensure the brand achieves appropriate promotional exposure.
- Creates brand pricing tier guidance and ensures products within the tier properly reside within the guardrails.
- Measures marketing effectiveness and communicates the post mortem, including go forward options to increase effectiveness.
- Oversees artwork sign off for all brands (specifically for all products), ensuring guardrails and positioning are upheld. Work closely with agencies for romance copy development that ladders into the brand essence and customer truth.
- Accountable for style guide creation. Ability to work alongside the agency in order to create a comprehensive guide to ensure consistency.
- Sets consumer research direction for assigned brands by collaborating with consumer and loyalty insights teams, bringing the voice of the customer into vision and product development work.
- Develops product concepts leveraging consumer insights, understanding of gaps in market or portfolio, and unmet needs.
- Maintains knowledge of competition and applies information as necessary to grow sales and profit and to develop long-term brand development plan; stays abreast of global category trends and market changes.
- Charters product innovation by identifying new trends on which to capitalize. Investigate and recommend packaging ideas for brands within assigned categories.
Walgreens, one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreen’s omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com and VisionDirect.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 6 years of experience at a CPG, retailer or Agency with a minimum of 4 years of direct Brand Management experience OR High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of 9 years of experience at a CPG, retailer or Agency with 4 years of experience in brand management at a CPG, retailer or Agency.
- Understanding of financial modeling and analysis in regards to brand budgets.
- Experience collaborating with internal resources and external resources to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines. International collaboration is necessary.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Advanced brand development experience from the ground up includes brand naming, sub-brand creation (tiering), customer truth, guardrails, essence, promise, vision, objective, consumer goals, triggers, and barriers. Familiarity with developing pricing strategies for different brand tiers is a must.
- Ability to engage, lead and direct design and research agencies.
- Awareness of retail store merchandising including placement and promotion. Experience in creating an ad plan calendar.
- Exposure to trend identification, including management of how to best incorporate and modify for different commercial segments (i.e. drug market interpretation, front of store opportunities).
- Strong understanding of marketing tools and tactic, from strategy to execution. Able to work collaboratively with marketing and merchandising teams to develop comprehensive in-store and out of store programs/promotions.
- Understanding of how to translate brand strategy into strong execution (on-pack, at shelf, in-store and out of store) and successfully implement.
- Capable of defining research studies, and interpreting retail and consumer data both custom and syndicated.
- Familiarity using retail data such as Nielsen or IRI.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 3 years of experience of cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- MBA or Master’s Degree
- Experience with product development or brand management in a global organization.
- Experience in brand management at a CPG, retail owned brands, service firms or agency.
- Experience collaborating with e-commerce in order to create meaningful brand navigation online and in social media.
- Knowledge of at least one of the following areas: OTC, Beauty, Grocery, Seasonal goods (décor, tabletop, apparel).