Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. A technology company at our core, we are a vibrant group of engineers, designers, marketers, and operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers.
Our vision for the Director of Quality Assurance, Food Safety and Compliance is to hire an experienced, versatile expert to lead quality, safety and compliance across a portfolio of private brand and branded products that includes both food and general merchandise. The successful candidate must be a fast learner, uncompromisingly focused on quality and safety, and willing (and excited) to become an expert across many diverse product categories ranging from toilet paper and garbage bags to chia seeds and olive oils, to nutritional supplements and batteries. The successful candidate will develop, manage and execute the organization’s food (and non-food) safety, quality assurance and regulatory compliance policies and programs, establish performance standards, procedures, and audit controls in order to meet business requirements, and work closely with product developers and buyers to ensure product quality, safety, regulatory compliance and speed to market.
- Establish, manage and lead the quality assurance, food safety and compliance programs and team;
- Act as the key subject matter expert for all regulatory, food safety and quality related concerns;
- Participate in the supplier selection process for suppliers of food CPG and non-food items;
- Review suppliers’ HACCP plans and conduct facility audits;
- Gather, organize and manage onboarding and product development documentation from suppliers including certificates of analysis, food safety and quality audits, product specifications, nutritional information, test reports, certifications, and claim substantiation materials;
- Develop product specifications and ensure that appropriate tolerances are incorporated into product specifications;
- Identify, engage and manage third-party labs/companies to perform testing services to ensure and benchmark quality, conduct microbiological testing and ensure that the company and/or supplier partners’ products are meeting / exceeding federal, state and local regulatory compliance standards where applicable;
- Attend prototype runs, first commercial runs and visit supplier facilities when necessary;
- Monitor customer feedback and take action where needed to address issues;
- Continuously identify and communicate improvement opportunities;
- Leverage technology to manage compliance processes;
- Conduct regulatory research and provide support to ensure products meet regulatory requirements, including implementation of new label regulatory requirements;
- Partners with regulatory agencies, product suppliers, internal resources and regulatory industry professionals to stay current on regulatory issues with food and non-food products;
- Ensure Prop 65 compliance for private label products sold in California;
- Ensure that all product labels are legally compliant for ingredient listing statements, nutritional content, marketing terminology, and provides recommendations for compliance options; and
- Develop and keep up to date a Master Supplier database that includes factory audits, certifications (familiarity with GFSI and CGMP standards is required), MSDS sheets, and includes vendor physical information and product specific data capable of generating unique lists for market queries e.g.: kosher, gluten-free products, allergen-specific lists.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology, public health, or equivalent.
- 15+ years of experience managing Food Safety and Quality in a retail or manufacturing environment (labeling experience is required). Product development experience at a retailer is preferable.
- At least 5 years of experience with managing compliance documents in a consumer goods environment.
- Demonstrated experience creating sustainable processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory labeling requirements for FDA and USDA and nutrition labeling. Knowledge of EPA regulations is a plus too.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Prior recall experience/knowledge is required.
- Knowledge of product traceability preferred.
- Knowledge of food microbiology, food safety, and food defense preferred.
- Ability to travel extensively domestically and internationally.
- Function in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Benefits & Perks:
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits
Location: NYC, NY