The Amazon Consumables Private Label team is creating a global portfolio of premium consumables products to meet Prime customers’ daily needs. We are seeking a highly motivated Sr. Category/Product Manager with a healthy obsession about the rapidly evolving world of online grocery delivery, consumer packaged goods, and product innovation to join our team and help us change the everyday lives of our global customers. The Category/Product Manager will invent and manage our product development process, starting with the determination of product portfolios using customer feedback and category insights and taking the product all the way through launch.
You are passionate about building and delivering new, high quality products that delight our customers. You have experience building deep relationships with external partners, analyzing data, identifying trends, and developing new businesses. You enjoy building supplier relationships and creating new value for both your business and your partners. You have amazing negotiation abilities, strong financial acumen, a high degree of ownership and integrity, and a high attention to detail. You are an independent self-starter who thrives in connecting people and ideas and have a strong entrepreneurial drive. You excel at communication and are comfortable with playing a lead role in a highly visible organization. You coordinate with cross-functional teams and outside partners to drive growth and process improvement for your business.
This role will be focused on chill chain food products.
The Category/Product Manager’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Managing the entire physical product life-cycle from strategic activities to tactical implementation including product portfolio idea generation based on market trends and customer needs analysis. Additionally, the role requires process development, operational planning and understanding of comprehensive financial analysis to support forecasting /inventory investments.
- Launching new products with full ownership of product development globally. Developing the global product road map for the Consumables Private Brands program and working closely with both domestic and international key stakeholders.
- Build deep relationships with suppliers across a broad spectrum, from large global manufacturers to early stage regional startups.
- Influence executive decision-makers, helping them to understand the brand, desired product positioning, key points of difference, and target customer. – Partnering closely with cross functional teams including the retail category teams, legal, tax, product compliance, social accountability, trade compliance, finance, transportation, and global suppliers to deliver on brand equity, net revenue, and customer satisfaction.
- Collaborating with other members of the Consumables Private Label team including Brand Management, Commercialization, Consumer Insights, Marketing, and Instock Management
- Facilitating approval process with regulatory and legal
- Developing a thorough understanding of the market segment, seasonality and global trends/events, and continually monitoring competitor efforts.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of customer-facing product development experience
- Experience with a general merchandise retailer or consumer packaged goods company
- Experience in developing and managing products, utilizing consumer usage, attitudes, needs and wants for product development direction
- Understanding of manufacturing and building product specifications
- Experience gathering requirements including business case development, functional product development, and technical expertise
- Knowledge of product development process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Composed, poised and professional demeanor
- Experience in perishable food categories and understanding of chill chain requirements
- Experience with primary product development as well as reverse engineering existing products