Hy-Vee, Global Sourcing Specialist
Department: Grocery Retail
Revision Date: 06/2016
Supports the company’s strategic initiative to grow direct food imports and enhance our international culinary expertise. Responsible for increasing sales and growing profit margins.
Accountable and Reports to: Group Vice President, Private Brands
Positions that Report to you: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands and articulates goals and objectives for Hy-Vee Import Department.
- Analyzes, evaluates, and qualifies supplier capabilities and partnership opportunities.
- Manages international supplier relations and negotiations.
- Conducts bids, negotiates, and implements high-dollar purchase agreements.
- Coordinates both domestic and international supply chain.
- Classifies products in accordance with U.S. CPB Rules.
- Understands and respects FDA, USDA, and U.S. CPB Import Restrictions and compliance.
- Creates and implements cost-saving activities.
- Understands and utilizes company’s FOREX (Foreign Currency Exchange) program.
- Participates in product quality improvement and efficiency while reducing lead times, inventory, and cost.
- Assists in setting strategy for the category.
- Sets sales, gross margin, and market share objectives for each new product line to be developed/imported with Procurement Team.
- Provides updates on new product performance compared to initial projections.
- Establishes Warehousing & Transportation plans, including negotiation of all associated costs.
- Performs all functions in close coordination with various departments of the company.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in International Business preferred or relevant/comparable work experience in international trade.
- 2-4 years’ experience in related field.
- Fluency in multiple languages preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and database query tools.
Key Competencies Preferred:
- Skill in understanding profit and cost figures.
- Outstanding communication skills, both internally and externally.
- Ability to make decisions with ability to multi-task.
- Ability to develop new, uncommon, and clever solutions.
- Ability to identify solutions and select effective solutions from alternatives/options.
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Must be able to function in a fast-paced, retail and office environment.
- International Travel Required.
- Must be available to work extended hours.
- Visual requirements include: ability to see detail at near and far range with or without correction, normal depth perceptions.
- Must be physically able to perform light work: occasionally lifting or carrying objects of no more than 10 pounds, and occasionally standing or walking.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: stooping, kneeling, reaching, handling, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
The duties of this position are performed in a general office setting. There is constant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects in a day.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
10 key calculator, telephone, copier, FAX, microfilm copier, and PC with spreadsheet and word processing applications.
Has frequent contact with store personnel, suppliers/vendors, and customers.
Has access to confidential information, including store inventory information, item costs, and margins.
After applying online, please send cover letter and resume to Alison Wright, email@example.com.
For questions about this posting, please contact Eric Long, firstname.lastname@example.org.