PB CAREERS: REI – Senior Color Designer
Location: Kent, Washington
Posted Date: May-20-2016
Job ID: 4198
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Development
What’s cool about this job
The Senior Color Designer is responsible for elevating the Private Brand product experience through the art & science of color. The senior designer is responsible for ideation and collaboration of executing compelling color strategy, palettes, and storytelling that are inspired, meaningful and brand right. This includes research and development of trends, concepts, and market place delivery. They are also responsible for supporting the stewardship of seasonal themes to support the REI design language. The Senior Color Designer mentors, motivates, and inspires junior color designers. Collaborates with, Product Design, Material Design, Graphics Design, Color Development to create impactful and cohesive color stories and collections. Collaboration with Merchandising, Brand, and Marketing is also critical to influence seasonal color within the retail landscape. Represents REI color design and direction to cross-divisional partners to ensure alignment. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Set color design strategy at the categorical level and support color design lead with seasonal color storytelling.
- Support Color Committee process and collaborate with fellow color ambassadors in creation of trend-right, brand-right color palettes. Research and interpret color trend as necessary.
- Apply color to outdoor apparel and gear. Present collections through storytelling to be reviewed throughout seasonal product creation and complete visual line plans.
- Provide color mentorship, inspiration and motivation to product designers in creating innovative color solutions.
- Manage color swatch library systems as well as color tool development and operations.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the design, merchandising and product strategy team to support the goals of the brand.
- Possess understanding of activities and consumers. Seeks to gain understanding of future consumers.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelors degree in Product Design or related field; may be substituted with relevant experience
- 5-7+ years work experience in CMF and color design
- Demonstrated excellence in enforcing color process and implementing color strategy
- Ability to support color design lead to promote color awareness, challenge the status quo and foster continuous product advancement and collaboration
- Highly knowledgeable around current trends, color, materials, and outdoor related
- Strong influence skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply color to a variety of products.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines within a product development calendar.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments, and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”
- Demonstrated excellence in visual color acuity.
- Computer proficiency: MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel), Adobe CS (Illustrator, InDesign)
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of
problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company’s best interest.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
- Domestic and international travel required
Why you’ll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the “100 Best Places to Work” list since the award’s inception – 19 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer