Over the last few weeks, Walmart seems to be everywhere in private brand news, and today is no different. This weeks circular sheds light on the next step in the evolution of the Walmart private brand portfolio and the latest answer to organics after abandoning their distribution of Wild Oats.
A two page spread introducing of Great Value Organics in the U.S. follows the introduction of Great Value Organics in Canada in late 2015. This U.S. version comes with new packaging that closely follows the expected category cues, while still seeming a bit fresher than most of the existing Great Value sku’s.
This is a traditional private label line extension of their mega-brand Great Value – with ORGANIC brought loudly to the top of the pack and the “Great Value” name minimized underneath. This is attribute first design that places the brand firmly in 2nd or even third place.
This feels like the simple and obvious solution for the Organic shopper at Walmart. The question are:
- Will the organic shopper care?
- Is Walmart, Great Value & Organic a contradiction in terms or will customers Believe?
- Is this simply a trade up strategy for the traditional Walmart shopper?
- Is this enough to steal share from Kroger’s Simple Truth?
- How will Walmart address the expanding Free-from product segment?
- How will Walmart address “Natural” products beyond cleaning?