Manager Private Brands Creative Services
Job ID 1023377BR
Date posted 04/04/2016
Location Mooresville, NC
Location Name CSC-Mooresville
Address 1000 Lowes Boulevard
Employment Type I Regular
Employment Type II Full-Time
Line of Business Corporate
Department 0319 – Packaging Product Management
The Private Brand Creative Services Manager is primarily responsible for leading the creative design of Lowe’s Private Brand packaging and collateral materials across multiple product categories and brands and implementing design strategies that create consistent and compelling brand experiences for the consumer from strategy through execution.
The Private Brand Creative Services Manager is responsible for delivering packaging designs that support brand messaging as prioritized by the Brand team, Product Design & Development, and Merchandising; supported by a creative brief. The messaging and design intent will also need to be adapted for or created specifically for use in other brand collateral materials – including signage, in-store displays (e.g. stack-outs, end caps, pods) or other branded materials. In addition, the Private Brand Creative Services Manager will manage a team of on-site contract designers. Close collaboration is required with the Lowe’s Packaging Production team (and on-site contractors), the Lowe’s Brand Management & Product Design & Development teams, Multi-Channel Testing and Commercialization team, Merchandising, Global Sourcing and external product vendors.
To accomplish this, the Private Brand Creative Services Manager must have in-depth knowledge of packaging design principles, consumer branding, point-of-purchase communications (signage, displays, etc.), packaging structure and substrates, color management, printing and production processes.
- Leads the concepting, refinement and final design of Private Brand creative initiatives to ensure packaging designs and collateral materials align with the creative brief and are executed on time and on budget.
- Leads activation of design intent across all packaging and in-store brand expressions including but not limited to redesigns, new product and new brand introductions, and maintenance as well as signage, displays and other branded materials.
- Collaborates with Photo Producers to provide photography direction, retouching notes and approvals.
- Serves as the creative leader of the Private Brands team, leveraging design knowledge, experience and expertise to foster an ownership mindset among the team and to raise the level of the group’s design capabilities.
- Leads overall creative expression of all Private Brand initiatives internally and consumer facing, ensuring accuracy and consistency in brand representation across all consumer touch points.
- Conducts analysis and synthesis of available data and insights to develop a customer-centric design strategy and approach. This may include competitive/marketplace audits, in-store evaluations, consumer insights synthesis and primary research as necessary.
- Develops, evolves, and communicates appropriate style guides or creative standards for Private Brands and maintains the Digital Asset Library of Private Brand creative assets.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with internal and external clients (e.g. merchants, brand team, agencies, and product vendors).
- Develops strategic and cost effective packaging ensuring competitiveness in the Home Improvement Market.
- Prioritizes workload based on product line reviews and in-store dates.
Functional Competencies Needed
- In depth knowledge of creative design principles and strategies with practical application to packaging and point of purchase materials (signage, displays, brochures, etc.)
- Specific strengths in leveraging packaging as a consumer communication vehicle and how to build persuasive packaging and collateral designs that close sales at the shelf
- Strong MAC skills with extensive knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and general knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Knowledge of packaging production processes and materials, structure, color management, and printing technologies
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Excellent client service and relationship building skills with team and internal & external clients
- Excellent presentation skills with ability to pitch designs to internal clients
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, or related field
- 5 years of experience in package design
- Experience using MAC platform with advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (including Illustrator and Photoshop)
- 2 years of experience in team leadership or people/vendor management
- Proven experience in the development and implementation of brand design and packaging strategy
- Understanding of packaging production & printing processes and packaging structure and substrates
- Experience in a fortune 500 corporation or professional design agency
- Experience in retail, with experience in Private Brands or CPG brands
- Experience in photography art direction
- Point-of-purchase design and communications experience
- Project management experience
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving more than 16 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico through its stores and online at Lowes.com, Lowes.ca and Lowes.com.mx. With fiscal year 2015 sales of $59.1 billion, Lowe’s has more than 1,855 home improvement and hardware stores and 270,000 employees. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.