PB CAREERS: Walgreens – Manager Healthcare Innovation
Job Location: Northbrook, IL
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We’re taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe’s Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home.
Responsible for overall innovative product development for Owned Brands in healthcare. This includes Over The Counter Drugs/ Wellness and Advance Care categories. Responsible for division sales and profit development through category, market, and trend knowledge and application. To make recommendations to meet and exceed Company, Division, and individual targets for Sales and Profit through working with key stakeholders throughout the Company. Manage several diverse categories simultaneously. Work with international teams on global innovative healthcare development. Develops product roadmap and long-term portfolio. Manage multiyear projects or platforms that support the enterprise and brand positioning further differentiating Walgreens as an authoritative and destination health and wellness player.
- Set targets for sales and gross profit for innovative items or platforms in healthcare categories and be a part of every stage of development from idea to launch. Work cross functionally with International teams, Technical teams, Product Development Managers, Finance Team, Brand Managers and Category Managers to meet established sales, profit and owned brand financial goals. Work with research team to develop field research where needed and work with finance to determine “size of prize” for potential innovation.
- Defines specification and ensures supplier compliance. Develops assigned categories; stays abreast of category trends and market changes. Maintains knowledge of competition and applies information as necessary to grow sales and profit. Works with finance and legal to develop business case for new models for working with raw materials suppliers and vendors to potentially invest, license, joint venture, etc., to ensure long term exclusivity or ownership of innovation
- Identify, evaluate, develop and deliver a strong pipeline of innovative products that is customer led and meets Corporate, Division, and individual targets and objectives. Fosters relationships with industry leaders in defined areas of focus – building a network of universities, doctors and researchers to be on the front end of new innovation
- Work with manufacturers /suppliers to develop strategic relationships to drive product development for unique/innovative items that are exclusive. Must understand costing, increase product and packaging innovation, improve profitability; and meet Corporate requirements on service. Knows the entire supply chain cycle how it affects product costs, product availability; sales, and profitability. Once an innovative platform or idea is identified and deemed to be aligned with strategy and potentially breakthrough, the innovation manager will collaborate with the sourcing team to focus on getting best cost etc.
- Develops assigned categories through product innovation, reformulation, new products and packaging ideas.
- Work with brand management team to understand key areas of focus and build the brand to meet Corporate, Division, and individual targets and objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of experience in Product Development, Merchandising and Marketing OR High School Diploma/GED and 8 years of experience in Merchandising, Product Development and Marketing.
- Experience in business case development.
- Displayed experience-translating strategy to product innovation or development.
- Experience using retail data such as Nielsen, IRI and/or Euro monitor. Experience with market research data collection methodologies, tabulation and reporting.
- Experience with project management (for example: planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives).
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Experience collaborating with internal resources and external resources to develop strategies that meet department goals within budget and established timelines.
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Experience identifying global trends and assessing and translating into local markets.
- Knowledge of retail store merchandising including placement and promotion.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- At least 1 year of experience directly managing people including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.
- Need to have a strong commercial understanding. Knowledge and experience in innovative product development, CPG, or retail.
- Experience in healthcare categories.
- Need person to have an inquisitive mind and identify customer needs and the creativity to develop unique and compelling product solutions.
- Need to have strong relationship building skills at all levels and the confidence and ability to inspire and get commitment from all stakeholders on good ideas.
- Passion for brands and products.
- Experience in innovative product development.
- Planning and Forecasting: know how to forecast demand for both short term and long term sales; must have a solid understanding of logistics and the effect on store and warehouse fill rates, inventory, and shelf life, and the results these areas have on Company profitability.
Requisition ID 018536-1