Sr Product Designer — Decor (Soft Goods)
Job ID: 944698BR
Line of Business: Corporate
Job Category: Trend, Design and Packaging
Department: 0060 – Product Design & Dev-Home Deco
Employment Type I: Regular
Employment Type II: Full-Time
Location #: 1999
Location Name: CSC-Mooresville
Location Address: 1000 Lowes Boulevard
The Sr. Product Designer – Décor (Soft Goods) is primarily responsible for designing and developing décor products that align with design intent and strategy, meet merchandising and business objectives, and are differentiated from the competition. Under the guidance of the Decor Design Manager and Design Lead, this individual will provide design direction and specific product design for soft goods. This person will communicate product intent through renderings, illustrations, and technique samples. Overall, the most important responsibility of this role is to provide senior-level design expertise across a breadth of home décor categories.
The Sr. Product Designer – Décor (Soft Goods) is a strong design leader and advocate for the customer. This individual has a vision for the product line from conception to execution. They are responsible for executing the design process that includes product style and opportunity identification, solution exploration, and concepting for home decor products. Deliverables include style guides and design guides, which require a breadth of knowledge and specification expertise.
The Sr. Product Designer – Décor (Soft Goods) works collaboratively with the Design Lead to align on direction in order to develop decorative product per set design objectives. This role also works with Merchandising to select soft product that offers a balanced assortment to customers and meets coordination goals. In addition, this individual interfaces with sourcing to guide vendors to successful interpretation of style guidance and design specification for decorative products.
To accomplish this, the Sr. Product Designer – Décor (Soft Goods) must have knowledge and proficiency in creating a range of soft, decorative products. This individual must have knowledge of historic home décor trends, be up-to-date on current trends for decorative products, and know how to coordinate products together in a room. This position requires expertise and proven product design experience in textiles and soft goods, such curtains, rugs, pillows etc. Advanced skill in color as well as a proficiency in surface pattern design, repeats, scale, and composition is required. There must be a deep expertise in textile science and processes with an emphasis on achieving high quality looks and hand at affordable prices. The Sr. Product Designer will have expertise across multiple soft goods, and be able to mentor product designers to translate skills and knowledge into more categories. They will have a deep knowledge of weaving and construction, and identify ideal programs and refinements to further these products at Lowe’s.
The Sr. Product Designer – Décor (Soft Goods) will execute the deliverables needed from conception to product execution based on objectives set by the Design Lead, to bring to market customer-focused product solutions that are aligned with Lowe’s US Home Improvement customer experience strategies, merchant business objectives, established specification and style guidelines, and Lowe’s private brand goals.
- Human-Centered Design Methodology
- Translates consumer research and interprets trend data for use in product development
- Employs design methodologies, discovers new inspights, pushes self and others for thorough exploration, iterates and refines and delivers well thought out and valued solutions for users and for the business.
- Executes the internal design and product development process for key categories from conception to execution, inclusive of kick-off meetings, design reviews, sample reviews, and vendor workshops.
- Provides point of view on room level style opportunities for product categories.
- Serves as the product design expert and creates style guidance and design specification for decorative products
- Creates 2D and/or 3D sketches, renderings, models, mechanical drawings and follows through to production; explores range of concepts considering all relevant input.
- Creates and ensures the execution of visual brand language for identified proprietary branded products.
- Provides recommendations for materials, construction, shape, color, surface, finish, print/pattern, and manufacturing processes in new product development.
- Has knowledge of materials, processes and performance goals
- Designs and develops products and programs within scope of assigned responsibility with moderate supervision, delivering on time and meeting and or exceeding expectation of customers, brand and business goals
- Manages vendor capability, anticipates roadblocks and communicates as needed
Communication (Visual and/or Verbal)
- Creates visual product inspiration boards, concept boards, and presentations for Design Manager
- Creates material and fabrication direction
- Assists Design Manager in redlining product concept sketches from external vendors
Developing Relationships and Collaboration
- Creates strong networks and relationships to collaborate and integrate with the other design disciplines to develop products that enable new experiences
- Interfaces with cross-functional teams at key touch points to execute design work
- Builds collaboration with other product designers to gain feedback and to embrace diverse points of view.
- Addresses questions and concerns from cross functional teams and vendors in a timely and professional manner
- Builds scope of effective communication and relationship building as well as consistently informs and leverages Design Manager
- Has expanded visibility outside team and delivers to multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or related field plus 5 years total professional experience or 8+ years total professional experience in trend or design field
- 5 years of experience developing products in the home or consumer products industry
- 5 years of experience and proficiency in 2D graphical software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite); must be able to manipulate colorations of patterns in Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar program.
- Demonstrated experience in bringing new products to market from conception through production
- Demonstrated knowledge of current, future and historical interior and home design trends
- Portfolio of work required
- 2 years of experience in 3D software (e.g. Solid Works) or rendering in Adobe Suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pattern repeats, color theory, and textile science
- 1 year of experience working within or with US retailers
- Demonstrated experience in international travel for product development
- Demonstrated experience with travel to domestic and/or international tradeshows for product trend research/product development
- 2 years of experience in pattern rendering software (e.g. Ned Graphics)
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE 100 home improvement company serving approximately 16 million customers a week in the United States, Canada and Mexico through its stores and online at Lowes.com, Lowes.ca and Lowes.com.mx. With fiscal year 2014 sales of $56.2 billion, Lowe’s has more than 1,840 home improvement and hardware stores and 265,000 employees. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s supports the communities it serves through programs that focus on K-12 public education and community improvement projects. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.