Staples – Project Manager – Strategy
Rarely does a $25 billion company reinvent itself, but Staples is well on its way. The Staples Strategy team offers a rare opportunity to experience and to help chart the company’s bold, new direction. Far from being just a brick & mortar retailer, Staples is now the world’s third largest e-retailer and boasts one of the most capable B2B sales forces in the world. With a reinvention having gained traction and major M&A activity on the horizon, the Staples Strategy team is an ideal next step for candidates looking to be part of a dramatic corporate transformation.
Project Managers play a key role on the Strategy team helping structure problems, drafting and prioritizing hypotheses, performing analyses, and developing recommendations. As part of the team, the Project Manager will:
- Be a key contributor, helping solve complex and important business challenges
- Help shape the future of the company by working hand-in-hand with Staples’ vice-chairman and other top-level executives
- Accelerate their careers by having a seat at the table for high-level strategy decisions
- Have genuine work-life balance
Past Strategy team projects have touched all three channels of Staples – retail, online, and contract – and have both mapped out high-level strategy as well as developed operational go-forward plans. Examples of past engagements include:
- Defined strategic role of Staples business units to shape 2015 strategy and beyond
- Assessed the decline in the paper and core office supply markets
- Sized the incremental opportunity for leveraging retail assets with our contract customers
- Identified opportunities to increase revenue and profitability among Staples’ midmarket business customers
- Developed comprehensive strategy for Staples own-brand products
- Evaluated investment and M&A opportunities in new product categories
The ideal candidate will be seeking a challenging next step after gaining pre-MBA experience at a top-tier consulting firm (e.g. Bain, BCG, McKinsey, LEK, etc.). The candidate will also be a real person, with a sense of humor, high EQ, and a passion for working with a team of early-career professionals who have a proven track record of excellence and leadership both inside and outside of Staples.
- Undergraduate degree
- 1-3 years management consulting experience
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Creative/innovative thinking
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities
- Solid and holistic business instincts
- Can do attitude
Staples Strategy team represents an exceptional opportunity to gain real world operating experience driving a corporate reinvention. We’re seeking a two year commitment after which Project Managers will be well positioned to pursue a top MBA or to take on a significant business unit role within Staples. The role is based at Staples headquarters in the Metro-West area of greater Boston, MA.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values the diversity of our people, products, and services.