PB CAREERS: Urban Outfitters, Designer, Art & Graphics
Job Posting ID 30582
Founded in 1970, Urban Outfitters (www.UrbanOutfitters.com) operates more than 200 stores in the United States, Canada, and Europe, all offering an eclectic mix of merchandise. We stock our stores with what we love, calling on our—and our customer’s—interest in contemporary art, music, and fashion. From men’s & women’s apparel and accessories to items for the apartment, we offer a lifestyle-specific shopping experience for the educated, urban-minded individual in the 18 to 30 year-old range—both online and in our stores as well as through our catalog.
Reports to: Design Manager
The Art & Graphics Designer is responsible for creating and executing the private label design development for all product classes relating to applied art & graphics. This includes all products in the following classes: Wall Art, Stationary and Electronics, as well as graphic design driven items within Bar, Kitchen, Textiles and Novelties. This position requires a highly motivated and experienced problem solver who is able to see the process from conception through final sample. They must be able to react quickly and multitask, keep current on design and brand appropriate trends, as well as partner and collaborate with other designers and buyers.
- Create innovative and brand appropriate design solutions for all facets of your product areas.
- Complete detailed design briefs for all new product development.
- Present design solutions to the Design and Buying Teams
- Respond to critique and direction with an open mind.
- Manage and complete line plan requirements from Buyers on a seasonal basis.
- Quickly develop chase product closer to seasonal trends and needs.
- Work closely with Buyers to develop a cohesive product assortment that both fulfill business needs, as well as pushing the envelope with new product development.
- Attend follow-up meetings for all products and manage workload accordingly.
- Regular communication between Buyers, Design Coordinator and Production team.
- Research globally and domestically for new materials, processes and fabrications.
- Keep current on Department, UO Brand and companywide initiatives.
- Research and present to Design Manager new product and trend ideas for each season.
- Prep and present overall concepts with Design team to Buying and Production teams each season.
- Travel to factories for development and execution of programs domestic and overseas.
- Technical knowledge of packaging, graphic decal and silk screening processes.
- Ability to research and develop into new manufacturing techniques.
- Ability to create detailed product specifications to be sent to vendors for manufacture.
- Strong Computer skills: Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator
- Outstanding taste level and sense of home and overall design trends.
- Ability to work within a team to create the best product that is focused on our customer.
- Ability to respond to business objectives with creative and innovative design solutions.
- Ability to successfully manage workload efficiently
- Ability to research and report on industry trend direction, color direction, and materials.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with partners in Design, Buying and Production teams.
- Organization skills, this job requires multi tasking on many levels.
Education Requirements: Degree in Graphic Design
- 4-6 Years working in the design industry.
- A good working knowledge of Adobe programs: Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Career path: Designer reports directly to the Design Manager.
With 2-3 years of experience and excellent performance the Designer may be eligible for promotion to Senior Designer
Comments: Domestic and international travel required