Leads efforts to achieve Haggen’s vision of being a private labels leader, increasing competitive advantage through innovation, strategic leadership and implementation. Develops and leads goals, strategy, planning and implementation resulting in desired business results. Influences product assortment, pricing and other marketing fundamentals. Leads Private Label’s product life cycle from concept to creation to delivery on the shelf. Partners with other category leaders to drive efficiencies across the organization. Lead and influencing cross-functionally to align and drive strategies with division stakeholders. This role also manages vendor relationships, negotiates terms for individual categories on a national scale. Role ensures the integrity and execution of merchandising initiatives and business development plans for their individual categories. Collaborates with division to ensure category business plans are guest centric and reflect local standards. Ensures compliance with all industry, corporate and government regulations.
Responsibilities specific to Private Label:
- Grow Haggen’s Private Label penetration.
- Aid in the development of goals for merchandising teams and corporate divisions.
- Lead the organization in planning and executing of private label consolidation.
- Lead the overall process for item creation from the point specs are defined until product is produced.
- Lead strategy for the development of marketing communications solutions in conjunction with marketing team, based on the business objectives. Align objectives for the private label products and employees target audience to ensure clear understanding as marketing develops consumer communications.
- Partner with Corporate Marketing to develop and execute effective marketing communications/promotional plans.
- Lead effective internal and external relationships (marketing team, merchandising team, etc) to integrate cross-functional efforts and resolve issues throughout the development process from conception to final execution. Aligns to prioritization of corporate marketing funds.
- Participates in the development of consumer insight and research/testing plans for our defined mega-brands, their marketing programs or key business questions.
- Works collaboratively with Brand and Merchandising (Corporate, Region, Division) to create/implement successful Private Label initiatives.
- Acts as the central point of contact for all Private label vendors.
- Manage private brands budget of $10+ million per year.
- Maintains a list of potential manufacturers and vendors for every product. Continually search out and secure new manufacturing partners to ensure our costs and capabilities are best in class.
- Tracks all income to ensure we achieve our budgeted income.
- Conducts negotiations based on our contract schedule and volume opportunities.
- Ensures both inbound and outbound service level goals are met and take action necessary to ensure vendor compliance.
- Oversees all communications to our business partners ensuring they are on time and factual.
- Engages all suppliers to obtain incremental funding opportunities to drive sales.
- Engages all suppliers to ensure adequate seasonal supply on all products.
- Maintains our futures buying contracts on commodities to ensure adequate supply and pricing on key commodities.
- Participates in all new item sourcing discussions and set the strategy for vendor supply parameters in the creation and maintenance of all private label items.
- Performs additional relevant project management and leadership duties as required.
Responsibilities for all Category Directors:
- Business Planning Responsibilities: Establishes near and long term strategic vision. Establishes growth guidelines and financial objectives for yearly and period plans. Reconciles growth progress to targets and identifies where focus should be placed by emphasizing or deemphasizing categories (reconciles multiple desks together). Responsible for articulating strategic, tactical and financial obligations for division. Manages relationships with strategic vendor partners and garners support (financial, resources) to sustain the strategic vision. Develops category business plans for managed categories. Attends yearly plan and quarter/period/weekly meetings and representing the strategic and financial interest. Responsible for building on the department strategic platform and ensuring it supports the company’s platform. Resolves conflicts/issues between categories and/or initiatives.
- Ad/Promo Responsibilities: Develops overall promo strategy for individually managed categories. It establishes and manages ad/promo performance, defines and refines assortment and presentation, delivers on Private Label strategic goals Directs the efforts of merchandising to stay on course with strategies and financials.
- Sourcing/Vendor Responsibilities: Oversees vendor relations, negotiates terms and for individually managed categories on a national scale. Approves national contracts and presents them to leadership for sign off.
- Managerial Responsibilities: Leads, coaches and develops employees. Recruits, interviews and hires when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising or related course of study required.
- 10+ years of brand marketing and/or communications experience in a CPG environment. Retail experience preferred.
- Proven ownership of P&L’s.
- Strong management and leadership skills with proven experience managing staff and budgets.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work with key stakeholders in organization to drive business results.
- Proven experience building brand equity from positioning through communication execution.
- Experience and knowledge of retail merchandising and operations a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- This position may be located in either Irvine, CA or Bellingham, WA.
- Most work is performed in a temperature controlled office environment.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment in the course of a normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
- Position will require some travel.
This job description is representative only and is not exhaustive of the possessed skills or responsibilities and tasks that an employee in the position may be required to perform. Haggen, Inc. reserves the right to request and require employees to perform other tasks depending on circumstances and emergencies. All employees must comply with Company policy and applicable laws.