H-E-B – Own Brand Product Quality Manager
About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 360 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $21 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 85,000 + Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Job Summary: Manage the safety and quality of products sold at H-E-B.
Essential Functions / Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary
Performs the duties of Associate QA Product Manager as well as the following:
- Perform the job functions necessary for the execution of the direct import quality assurance program through deployment of product and brand risk assessments.
- Collaborate with 3rd party service providers on product testing requirements and pre-shipment inspections to ensure regulatory compliance and H-E-B quality initiatives are met.
- Ensure import suppliers/factories meet with H-E-B requirements for social compliance and security as defined by the direct import program.
- Recognized within H-E-B as a product safety and quality expert in assigned categories.
- Maintains strong working relationships with leadership in assigned product categories, such as Regional Directors and Business Unit Directors.
- Demonstrates product expertise for key products within assigned categories.
- Leads Associate QA Product Quality Managers in the areas of work processes, category management and decision-making.
- Identify and communicate opportunities for category improvement as a result of emerging industry trends and threats in the areas of product safety and quality.
- Initiate and lead special projects and cross functional teams to continuously improve product safety and quality
Education and Experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Chemistry, International Business, Biology, Food Science or related Field
- 5 years of Manufacturing or Quality Assurance experience
- Experience with non-food formulated or consumer products preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage the safety and quality of Own Brand products and suppliers within assigned categories
- Successful completion of H-E-B Certified Quality Auditor Training: HACCP, GMP, Food Microbiology 101, Product Safety & Quality Standard, Internal Systems, Joint Auditing, Standardization Audit, Statistical Process Control, Systems Auditing, Regulatory Training, Food Protection Management, American Society for Quality-Certified Quality Auditor
- Demonstrated experience implementing quality management principles and concepts and troubleshooting gaps in existing systems
- Demonstrated experience using quality assurance tools to monitor, control, and predict manufacturing processes and product performance
Key Competencies preferred
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions, identify trends and assess implications of product failures
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Ability to work in a demanding environment with little to no supervision
- Ability to work within established company and department guidelines
- Ability to take initiative and make critical decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organization skills
Physical and Other Requirements
- Function in a fast-paced, retail, office environment
- Travel by car or airplane domestically or internationally with extended overnight stays
- Lift up to 20 lbs in a regular basis
- Lift 20 lbs or more on an occasional basis
- Work extended hours
Primary Location: US-TX-San Antonio
Work Locations: Headquarters – Arsenal: 646 S. Main, San Antonio 78204
Job: QA Own Brand
Organization: Corporate Region
Job Type: Full-time
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time