Backcountry, Inc. is a portfolio of premium specialty retail brands. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of premium outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate seven specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, WhiskeyMilitia, and Chainlove.
We offer the opportunity of a lifetime where you can connect your career with your passions. Our mission – connect people to their passions – begins with our team members. We live and breathe the outdoor lifestyle, whether on land or water, snow or sand, road or trail. We bring that passion for the outdoors to our work every day with three values that guide how we work:
- We do the different and remarkable, we Break Trail
- We don’t sit around and think about it, we Get it Done
- Our passion is our rock but we live to hit our goals, we Balance Performance and Passion
The Executive Vice President of Private Brands will be responsible for the organization within Backcountry, Inc. that concepts, designs, sources and markets Backcountry’s portfolio of private brands of apparel, accessories and hard goods. As a member of the Executive Team, reporting to our CEO, this position will lead the creative vision, strategy and execution of this critical part of our global business.
This leader will be responsible for setting and implementing the branding and growth strategy, influencing and driving change across many key stakeholders, improving processes to scale with growth and developing and leading functional leaders. This leader will relish the opportunity to build a business driving strategic vision and operational excellence.
- Develop and execute a global Private Brands department and business by creating a brand strategy, assortment strategy, and sourcing strategy across the portfolio of Backcountry businesses
- Build a top-notch team with expertise in product design, development, materials, color, and sourcing across a broad set of categories (apparel, gear, bike, outdoor, powersports)
- Leverage both internal and external resources across functions to develop compelling product
- Balance aesthetic, performance, quality, margin and timeline expectations effectively
- Utilize customer insights and data pre and post launch to inform strategy
- Have a strong perspective on how to deliver small-run, short production time (3-6 months from concept to physical product) quality products and launch brands online direct-to-consumer
- Develop quality products, that fit well, at exceptional value to customers
- Manage a Private Brands P&L and continue to drive continuous margin improvement through cost concessions and operational improvements
- 10+ years of experience creating a product vision and strategy for a private brand, building innovative, market-relevant product collections
- 10+ years management experience and demonstrated success leading multi-disciplinary teams focused on product design and development
- Strong experience working with consumer products in categories where technical performance is balanced with esthetic
- Exceptional creative vision, design experience and trend-spotting skills; Ability to translate vision into high-level direction for teams
- Demonstrated success in leading product development from concept to customer
- Proven ability to attract, recruit and retain talent
- Strong collaboration, communication and presentation skills to effectively drive Private Brand execution internally
- Strong analytical / financial understanding to drive growth, margin and profitability