Sam’s Club – Sr Manager Private Brand Product Development & Sensory Lab
Position Type: Salary
- Identifies innovative, differentiated, and signature products in Sam’s Club food by analyzing item portfolios and claims and nutritional potential; utilizing proven methods of innovation, improved profitability, increased sustainability and high quality across categories, brands, proprietary brands, and platforms; maintaining and updating technical and business understanding of the competitive set and emerging technologies; and assisting in gap identification and opportunities for new products.
- Drives product improvement in proprietary brands to ensure alignment with corporate strategies of high quality, sustainability, and value by implementing product scorecards; evaluating products within and across key departments; maintaining product lists; collaborating with merchandising and suppliers on item-selection criteria; and reviewing and verifying that items meet specified criteria.
- Researches and communicates new developments in products (for example, ingredients, process technology, culinary, food science, sustainability, packaging) by identifying trends and external changes influencing industry and product direction; compiling industry data and analyzing trends; attending trade shows and local markets; developing trend reports, presentations and newsletters; and incorporating findings within merchandising categories.
- Develops business plans and strategies for Sam’s Club merchandising testing that support the corporate strategy by compiling market research, consumer input, and product testing; designing and implementing research studies (for example, sample design, questionnaire design, implementation of surveys); analyzing complex survey data; writing research reports; making recommendations based on findings; and presenting results to appropriate departments and recommending if product is projected to be successful or not in the market.
- Oversees and directs Sam’s Club sensory lab operations and ensures product integrity from prototype through commercialization and during shelf life by developing product gold standards, nutritional attributes, formulas and product specifications that meet corporate, regulatory, member and consumer needs; analyzing and reporting findings; establishing consumer sensory panels and ballot designs; overseeing, analyzing, and reporting panel procedures and data; facilitating product showings, label development (for example, nutrition facts, ingredient statements, primary display panel), and package development; and collaborating with suppliers, buyers and Proprietary Brand Team to provide feedback for product improvement.
- Provides educational classes and technical support in culinary and food science to departments by developing and sharing product and category briefs and designing and instructing culinary classes (for example, Flavor 101, sensory classes).
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects for Sensory Lab Testing and Product Development by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or Sensory Science AND 2 years experience in food sensory science, food research and development or related field OR 5 years experience in food sensory science, food research and development or related field
- 2 years of supervisory experience
- 2 years experience leading cross-functional teams
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Food Science or Sensory Science
- 2 years experience with food recipe development
- 2 years experience with perishable food inventory control
- Certified ServSafe Food Handler or related food safety certification
- Culinary Certification
Job Role: Sr. Manager, Private Brand Product Development & Sensory Lab – Sam’s
Job ID: 462178BR