Family Dollar – Global Sourcing Director
The Director of Global Sourcing is responsible for managing the Product Managers/Associate Product Managers who identify, develop and execute category, program and item strategies and tactics to support the Category Teams to achieve overall financial goals for margin, sales, inventory turnover and in-stock levels. Directors work within a group of product managers as defined by the DVP and VP of Sourcing, collaborating closely with Category Teams, Quality Assurance, Import Logistics, Supply Chain, Private Label, Suppliers and Service Providers. Core activities encompass the establishment, management and resolution of program/item sourcing projects. As defined by Lines of Business – Apparel, Home, General Merchandise, and Consumables and HBA, Product Managers/Associate Product Managers report directly to the Director of Sourcing.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Proactively partner with assigned Division/Category Merchant Teams to execute category/line of business sourcing strategies – developing both long-term and season specific objectives.
- Support the DVP of Sourcing in partnering with Category Teams and Suppliers to manage the product development and sourcing processes.
- Manage the Product Management Team who executes objective worksheets for identified programs and items to be considered for global sourcing activities and potential placement – coordinating and issuing communication to potential Suppliers and THT.
- Execute pertinent elements for programs and items, including FOB price targets, trim/labeling/packaging components, product specifications for function and performance, regulatory and safety requirements, etc.
- Assist the DVP of Sourcing and THT counter parts to build, manage, and maintain a Family Dollar Supplier matrix that allows the organization to leverage its supplier base and capitalize on multi-sourcing capabilities.
- Work with DVP of Sourcing and the THT counter parts to develop annual sourcing strategies for each Line of Business. Plan, manage, and execute the sourcing project objectives and timelines inclusive of project goals, product specifications, supplier criteria, pricing and production parameters.
- Support DVP of Sourcing and Category Team members in defining and monitoring of order and documentation issuance/approval processes to ensure timely deliveries at port of origin.
- Collaborate with Quality Assurance Team members, ensuring all product are subjected to and achieve quality assurance guidelines and processes
- Collaborate with Private Brand Team members to define, manage and execute product projects within designated Private Brand policies (when Private Brand product is sourced/considered)
- Collaborate with Import Logistics and Compliance to ensure statutory/trade documentation and process requirements are achieved
- Collaborate with Merchants and Suppliers to identify opportunity/leverage buys.
- Review and approve all Global Sourcing programs and product placements within category hierarchy of responsibility. Provide GS recommendations with supporting analysis to the Merchant Team and DVP.
- Provide insight, direction and leadership regarding new products, trends and opportunities by category based on market developments, statistical analysis and competitor information.
- Support DVP of Sourcing in the creation and delivery of Category Team and Supplier education and development.
- Direct, mentor and manage assigned Product Managers and Associate Product Managers.
- Drive financials by meeting GS savings and penetration goals
- Meet MMR Financials
- Indirect leadership of cross functional team in multiple geographies
- Other duties and responsibilities as defined.
Periodic international and domestic travel.
Education: BS/BA or equivalent work experience
Experience: Minimum of 7 years’ experience in Retail Buying, Product Development or Sourcing.
Technical Skills: Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office desktop applications, inclusive of Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook. Moderate to intermediate working knowledge of web-based product life cycle management tools, inclusive of work flow, task management, supplier/service provider collaboration and, management reporting
- Effective communication, including interaction with Category Teams, Suppliers and Service providers – both strategic and tactical content
- Strong analytics, problem-solving, multi-tasking and prioritization
- Ability to interact effectively and build relationships with all levels of Category Teams, Merchandising Leadership and Global Sourcing resources
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Understanding of the product development life cycle from both a merchandising and manufacturer’s perspective desired but not mandatory
- Established leadership ability and managerial skills to lead a total team of approx. 7 Team Members, including approximately 4 Direct Reports
Primary Location: NC-Charlotte
Job Level: Director
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Relocation Assistance: Yes
Background Check Required: Yes
Drug Screen Required: Yes