Private Brand groceries from the large Australian chains featured heavily in the 6th outing for the awards.
The most hotly contested categories included fresh and ready-to-eat items, allergy-free products and body care.
The 44 winning products included Aldi banana bread and laundry soaker, Jamie Oliver’s soups for Woolworths, and Coles’ marinades with built-in brush.
The panel included NewsLocal editor-in-chief Kathy Lipari, Australian Food and Grocery Council chief executive Gary Dawson and Woman’s Day editor-in-chief Fiona Connolly.
Aldi won eight categories, followed by Woolworths with five.
“Supermarkets are responding to a real demand for really high-quality products that are affordable, particularly in cases of ALDI winning with eight products this year,” said Product of the Year Australia director Sarah Connelly.
Woolworths’ Macro and Select, Coles’ Finest and Aldi brands now appear in 98% of households.
Ms Connelly said people were more willing to try own brands “because the quality is starting to get a lot better”.
The full list of winners:
- Anathoth Farms Sweet Chilli Relish, Barkers (Relishes)
- Asia Specialties Flavoured Noodle Box, Aldi (Microwave meal solutions)
- Atlas High Performance Surface and Cockroach Spray, Aldi (Pest control)
- Bare Bar — The Clean Protein Bar, Slim Secrets (Health and Wellbeing)
- Brown Brothers Moscato & Sauvignon Blanc (Alcohol)
- Cadbury Picnic Block (Chocolate)
- Calibre Razor System 6 Blade with 2 Cartridges, Aldi (Male grooming)
- Capilano Light and Smooth & Dark and Bold honey, Capilano (Sweet spreads and sauces)
- Carefree Plus Liner for LBL (Feminine hygiene)
- Coles Brand 500ml Ice-Cream Range (Frozen dessert)
- Coles Brand Marinades (Sauces and Marinades)
- Coles Ready to Eat Chicken (Ready to Eat)
- Colgate (Dental Care)
- Colgate Maximum Cavity Protection Plus Sugar Acid Neutralizer (Toothpaste)
- Created with Jamie Soups Created with Jamie, Woolworths (Soups)
- Devondale Smoothies (Cold beverages)
- Disan Oxy Laundry Soaker and In-Wash Booster, Aldi (Household cleaning)
- Don Premium Smokehouse Ham (Smallgoods)
- Farmers’ Own Milk, Woolworths (Dairy and cheese)
- Finish Dishwashing Gel (Dishwashing)
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water, Garnier Beauty (Cleansers)
- Gold Beef Burgers, Woolworths (Fresh meat)
- Gold Fresh Tasmanian Salmon, Woolworths (Premium deli)
- Jordan’s Crunchy Oat Granola (Cereals)
- Julius Den-twist Fresh Breath, Aldi (Pet care)
- Knoppers Biscuits, Aldi (Sweet biscuits)
- L’Oreal Paris Elvive Fibralogy Double Serum, L’Oreal (Hair care)
- Lightly Dried Herbs & Spices, Gourmet Garden (Herbs and spices)
- Lilydale Mini Roasts, Lilydale Fresh (Poultry)
- Lipton Pyramid Teas and Fruit Infusions (Hot beverages)
- Macro Snack Bites, Woolworths (Healthy snacks)
- Nectra Hair Colour, Schwarzkopf (Hair color)
- Nicabate Oral Strip, Nicabate Quit (Smoking Aid)
- Optic White Toothbrush + built-in Whitening Pen, Colgate (Teeth whitening)
- Orange and Green Porcini Mushroom & Truffle Triangolis pasta, Aldi (Easy to prepare meals)
- Palmer’s Perfecting Facial Oil, Palmer’s Skin Care (Anti-ageing)
- Panadol with Optizorb OTC (Medicine)
- Pure-Bred Hamburger Buns (Allergy-free foods)
- Scar Treatment, Bepanthen (Skin care)
- SteamFresh Vegetables with Cheese Sauce, Birds Eye (Frozen foods)
- Sunbeam Master Series Maestro Toasters, four-slice (Small Appliance)
- The Cake Stall Banana Bread, Aldi (Bakery desserts)
- Tip Top Breakfast Toast (Bakery)
- Vaseline Spray Moisturiser (Body care)
- Veet Cold & Hot Waxes and Depilatory Creams (Hair removal)