PB CAREERS: H-E-B, Product Development Culinary Manager
Department: Own Brand Development
City: San Antonio
H-E-B Company is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 350 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $20 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 80,000 + Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Leads efforts to elevate and develop our portfolio of Food Service and distinctive products to the forefront of culinary flavor and ingredient trends. Utilize culinary expertise and commercialization experience to develop proprietary recipes, including menu and recipe design for our Restaurant concepts, RTE, various Grab & Go projects that truly deliver on expectations of eating experiences.
Essential Functions / Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary:
- Utilizes culinary knowledge and expertise to create and improve customer experiences, thus delivering highest quality product for all H-E-B customers, value and up.
- Constantly strives to keep us ahead of ingredient and flavor trends.
- Designs products to better meet unique Texas taste preferences, not fully understood by our broader supplier base.
- Enhances our portfolio of distinctive, destination driving product formulations.
- Achieves optimal flavor experiences with minimal impact to nutritional values.
- Delivers tangible results in the form of distinctive item sales.
- Cultivates relationships with key stakeholders representing a broad range of functions, levels and organizations.
- Provides culinary support and advice to all levels of the organization.
- Influences peers, key stakeholders and decision makers across the organization.
- Ensures the integrity of Food Service and Own Brand strategies by aligning culinary / product development with strategic goals.
- Manages multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities in an ambiguous and complex environment.
- Sets priorities and realistic timelines.
Education and Experience preferred
- Culinary Degree or 3 years experience as a professional chef.
- Demonstrated experience with successful, large-scale commercialization of product formulations.
- Demonstrated success in recipe development and commercialization of food products.
- 1- 2 years experience in the CPG food industry preferred.
- Knowledge of restaurant menu and recipe design.
- Leadership development experience.
- Ingredient sourcing experience.
- Culinary expertise in recipe development and flavor innovation.
- Recipe decoding and replication expertise.
- Large scale-up commercialization of recipes for HCC.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Key Competencies preferred
- Demonstrated success in working complex issues within cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work in a complex, matrix team environment as a leader or as a supporter.
- Ability to make critical decisions.
- Demonstrate initiative and willingness to take risks.
- Entrepreneurial drive.
- Passion to create the future, deliver results and strengthen the organization.
- Desire to help customers, communities and Partners live better through superb culinary products.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to details.
- Strong project management skills.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Function in a fast-paced, retail, office environment
- Travel by car or airplane with overnight stays
- Work extended hours