Lowe’s – Brand Manager
Job ID: 752525BR
Department: 0140 – Private Brands Decor
Employment Type I: Regular
Employment Type II: Full-Time
Location #: 1999
Location Name: CSC-Mooresville
Location Address: 1000 Lowes Boulevard
The principle purpose of the Brand Manager is to manage assigned brands, with a primary focus on advancing the strategic role of brands within the organization to drive sales, profitability and brand equity.
The Brand Manager will also have primary responsibility for the development and synthesis of insights and other inputs to better understand competitive and consumer dynamics. This position will develop marketing plans, product strategies, and consumer-facing messaging strategies for the assigned brands. This includes review and analysis of existing market data, creation of market situation summaries, and creation of product scopes for select programs.
The Brand Manager will be responsible for managing and providing results that support both brand objectives and business unit priorities for Lowe’s. In addition, this position will manage a team of individual contributors who are responsible for leading brand management activities for assigned product groups and supporting the brand manager, as needed.
To accomplish this, this person must have a broad knowledge of marketing and brand strategy and product management with a general understanding of retail business.
In addition, the Brand Manager will work closely with leadership from Merchandising, Customer Experience (CXD) Product Design, International Merchandising and Marketing-Advertising-Communication (MAC) to drive private brand strategy and initiatives. This position will also work across cross-functional organizational business units primarily collaborating with Merchandising, CXD Product Design and MAC. The Brand Manager is also expected to understand the competitive set and define the specific role of private brands to optimize assortments.
This position will have a significant impact on the assigned brand and the overall company. Sales for the assigned brand will range from $700MM to $1b. This position will lead the advancement of the assigned brands within Lowe’s, with a primary focus on sales, profitability and brand equity.
Develops, Aligns, and Executes Brand Strategies
- Establishes and manages business priorities and strategies
- Manages short and long-term planning through private brand blueprints
- Executes brand development initiatives
- Leads the customer-facing expression of assigned brands (in-store, online, collateral materials, etc.)
- Manages brand standards and guidelines
- Leads brand-packaging design/development
- Primary liaison with cross-functional teams (i.e. Customer Experience Design, Merchandising, Global Sourcing, Marketing seasonal leads, etc.) to deliver the private brand strategy and objectives
Brand and Product Management
- Develop and synthesize consumer and competitive insight/intelligence and advance Lowe’s knowledge of the marketplace and competitive environment and implications for assigned brands as inputs for category strategy development
- Guide product design and merchandising in scoping, prioritization of brand opportunities, and development of new products to be launched under assigned brands (for internally designed products under priority brands)
- Provide brand guidance and standards for vendor designed products under assigned brands
- Drives the development of tactical plans aligned with Private Brands and business strategy in order to bring the vision into realization
- Uses a critical eye to examine and streamline work flows and processes within the team, to increase efficiency
- Develops short-term and long-term plans for Private Brands and Marketing
- Drives innovation across the team using a deep understanding of how the development of private brands works within the organization
- Keeps pace with change and maintains a competitive advantage within the marketplace by seeking out and learning about changes in the field
- Drives projects and tasks to completion through teams, regardless of changing conditions, by coaching and developing Marketing Specialists to develop their marketing and brand management skills, building bench strength for the Marketing organization
- Aligns the team’s time and effort on projects that are critical to Marketing’s success
- Delegates the right tasks and decisions to the people who are in the best position to execute them
- Provides open feedback and mentorship to team members to encourage growth and greater responsibility
- Hires, trains and develops the talent necessary to achieve stated objectives providing meaningful development opportunities for individuals in preparation for succession planning
- Negotiates effectively for the organization with internal and external stakeholders and builds relationships with key individuals necessary for collaboration
- Develops and presents communications, frequently to senior leadership, communicating the desired message, at the appropriate level, for the right recipient
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Masters of Business Administration or other advanced degree in related field
3+ years of experience in brand management in retail, package goods, or other industry brands
2+ years of leading people and influencing people without formal authority
2+ years of experience influencing at multiple levels of the organization and working closely with upper management
2+ years of experience building business cases
5+ years of marketing and/or brand experience in a large retail environment or consumer package goods organization
2+ years of experience in retail private brand management
3+ years of leading people at a manager level
2+ years of experience with consumer insights and integration into marketing plans
With fiscal year 2013 sales of $53.4 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 100 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,825 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.