The Packaging Designer contributes to REI’s success by leading the design, development and support of custom packaging solutions across all REI Private Brand products focusing on retail presence and point of sale. Design specialty packaging for all REI product categories – using innovative solutions to meet merchandising demands. Champion the execution of packaging initiatives consistent with approved brand, design and integrated marketing strategies and plans. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Location: Kent, Washington
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- The Packaging Designer will work with a team of designers, copywriters, and production artists, balancing creative thinking with innovative and consumer friendly solutions.
- Demonstrate an ability to formulate package design strategies, communicate design objectives within team, product development and cross-divisional partners.
- Manages deadlines and project details through regular and ongoing communication with Creative Director
- Collaborates with project management to keep project on track and on schedule and assists with timeline development
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with Creative Designers, Production Designers, external agencies and other cross-divisional partners.
- Present packaging project concepts/direction to immediate team, Product Managers, and Merchants to gain creative direction alignment.
- Knowledgeable and experience in leading the complete package design development process from concept and exploration through execution: including knowledge in the development of dielines, prepress, print production and ability to lead pre-production processes.
- Ability to develop and conform to internal brand standards and guidelines that will strengthen brands, and ensure brand consistency.
- Provide training and development opportunities for staff to reach their full potential
- Promote positive process and work relationships within department and cross-divisionally to produce high quality packaging materials to enhance the customer product experience
- 4+ years of experience in a packaging engineering/design field
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Must have a refined ability to collaborate across all divisional partners, and to broker compromise and consensus without sacrificing the quality of the solution.
- Demonstrated knowledge in creating communications through all avenues of print execution, from multi-page formats to packaging
- Proven ability to provide superior design and engineering for product packaging on time and within budget
- Experience with dynamic automated workflows, variable printing and emerging technologies
- Advanced skills in current Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Working knowledge of CAD or graphics design programs
- Prioritize and manage multiple, complex packaging projects simultaneously with an established time frame and budget
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI”s values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company”s best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the “100 Best Places to Work” list since the award”s inception – 17 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 130 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.