This year’s 14th Annual Shopper Insights in Action Conference July 14-16 in Chicago at the Navy Pier, that’s right its next week, if you have not made plans to attend you still have time! My Private Brand readers can still take advantage of a 20% discount when they use the code SIA14MYPBRAND. REGISTER TODAY!
This year I will be joining an impressive faculty of speakers who will deliver more than 80 insightful presentations. The faculty includes a number of notable retailers:
- Sir Terry Leahy, Former CEO, Tesco
- Juan C. De Paoli, SVP Brand Management and Own Brands, Ahold USA
- Kathryn Henkens, VP Private Brands, Petco
- Edward Porter, VP Consumer and Business Insights, Ahold USA, Inc.
- Heidi Reale, Director of Shopper and Digital Marketing, Price Chopper Supermarkets
- John Whitaker, VP, Market & Consumer Insights, Lowe’s Companies, Inc.
- Kyle Swayze, National Category Manager, 7-Eleven
- Liz Berman, Director of Portfolio Strategy, Safeway
- Michael De Fazio, SVP of Store Concepts, RadioShack Corporation
- Parker Hurlburt, Director of Consumer Insights, Marketing, Meijer
- Scott Friesen, Director, Customer Insights and Marketing Analytics, ULTA Beauty
- Tim Foster, Director, Customer Experience Insights, Lowe’s Companies, Inc.
- Tom Hutchinson, Director Marketing, CRM & Analytics, Raley’s Family of Fine Stores
On Monday, July 14, 2014 I will moderate the keynote panel: “Private Brands Retail Panel: The Strategic Importance of the Customer in the Growth of American Retail” featuring: Kathryn Henkens, VP of Private Brands, Petco, Juan C. De Paoli, SVP Brand Management and Own Brands, Ahold USA and Liz Berman, Director of Portfolio Strategy, Safeway Consumer Brands.
A challenging look inside Fifty2, The My Private Brand Project. The 52 brands featured in the book radically destroy the notion that all American private brands are ugly knock-offs of national brands and clearly paints a picture of the retail brand revolution that is creating retail-owned brands that customers know and love.
Stop by the bookstore and say hello and let me sign a book for you.
You won’t want to miss the presentation from fellow panelist Liz Berman of Safeway “Beyond ‘Generic’: How Private Brands Target Emerging Shopper Segments” at 4:00. I had the privilege of a preview and she has some great insights.
Other presentations from retailers include:
Monday, July 14, 2014 – 1:15
The Intersection of Useful and Important: Combining Data Sources to Provide New Insights
Scott Friesen, ULTA Beauty
Tuesday, July 15, 2014- 11:00
Keynote: The Intersection of Big Data and Leadership
Sir Terry Leahy, Former CEO, Tesco
Big Data is not a buzzword or a fad. It’s a movement and a business growth strategy. And it’s not going away. Big Data — and particularly its role in bolstering customer relationships — will continue to be one of the most impactful business drivers over the next decade. But, as the former Tesco CEO warns, organizations must transform both their structures and their leadership approach to reap the rewards. This new world of business in the era of Big Data requires radically different thinking, new organizational structures and processes, and new leadership skill sets to interpret and connect data in more creative and meaningful ways. Find the right combination of data and technology to change customer relationships and the business trajectory. Data needs direction to manage the profitability of customers. Big Data on its own is not enough. Values, culture and purpose matter
- Distinguish between actual and perceived variety—remember always measure from the consumer perspective
- If perceived variety is overwhelming, reduce the complexity of the assortment
- If perceived variety is underwhelming, increase attraction and effect of the assortment
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 11:45
Keynote Interview: A One on One with Sir Terry Leahy Interviewed by Ravi Dhar, Yale School of Management
In his fourteen years as CEO, Sir Terry Leahy took Tesco from a struggling company to become Britain’s largest private employer and the third-largest supermarket in the world. Drawing on his experience and expertise, Ravi will interview Sir Terry to get his insights on how initial failure often leads to success, why simplicity leads to innovation and why trust is the bedrock of effective leadership.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 12:30
Lunch: Meet & Greet with Sir Terry Leahy
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 2:15
Measuring Motivational Response in Complex Categories
John Whitaker, and Tim Foster, Lowe’s Companies, Inc.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 2:15
Delivering on the Future of Coupons
Tom Hutchison,Raley’s Family of Fine Stores
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 – 4:15
Taking Insights to Action: Retailer-Vendor Collaboration in Convenience Cold-Vault
Susan Stege, Dean Foods Company
Kyle Swayze, 7-Eleven
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 – 9:15
BEYOND STATISTICS: From Conceptualization to Design to Implementation, Creating a Compelling and Engaging Shopping Experience for Consumers
Michael De Fazio, Senior Vice President of Store Concepts, RadioShack Corporation
When your competitors sell the same merchandise, how can you stand out as a retailer, connect with the consumer, and differentiate your business? Michael DeFazio will discuss key components in transforming stores for leading retail brands and how fundamental insights can give you an advantage over the competition. DeFazio will go beyond statistics to share key learnings from his career including how to create an enhanced shopping experience that originates with understanding the needs of your customers and how to use those learnings or “that awareness” to deliver on your brand promise. From his experience at top retailers to his current work transforming RadioShack stores, DeFazio has learned critical insights each retailer should know about in-store experience, merchandise assortment, and employee engagement.
- It’s all in the details: How to create a rich and engaging shopping environment that drive sales and highlight merchandise
- The value of employee engagement: How to leverage your associates as your greatest strength to driving sales and building relationships
- One size does not fit all: Learn how segmentation can transform your business
Latest posts by Christopher Durham (see all)
- Unified Grocer’s Redesigns Springfield – Nov 27, 2014
- Happy Private Brand Thanksgiving! – Nov 26, 2014
- FMI Plans Big for the 2015 Private Brand Summit @ FMI Connect – Nov 25, 2014