REI – Design Insights Researcher
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the “100 Best Places to Work” list since the award’s inception – 17 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 130 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 11,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
The design insights researcher contributes to REI’s success through accurate and deep intuitive understanding of consumers and their relationships with our products. By fostering a connection between the design team and our consumers, we are able to identify new product opportunities and enhance current product experiences. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Supports design research efforts for Private Brands & Design Insights Team
- Supports process and methodologies to ensure collection and delivery of design research. (Design ethnographies, research stimuli, research tools, leads or supports recruiting efforts, leads or supports consumer interviews)
- Supports Trend and Inspiration research. Collects and participates in secondary research.
- Communicates unmet needs and actionable insights and opportunities to drive decision-making.
- Actively participates with Private Brands teams to create and deploy customer focused research tools and tactics.
- Reports to Manager of Design Insights team
- 6+ years experience in the design research or related field
- Ability to support and co-create research plans that support design teams across Private Brands.
- A understanding of good design and basic understanding of the product development process.
- Ability to visualize insights (illustrations, storyboarding, video, collages etc.)
- Ability to efficiently synthesize and communicate complex information to teams i.e., strong interpretive, verbal, written, and story-telling techniques to communicate consumer insights and needs.
- Ability to advocate for the consumer throughout the design process
- Ability to work across all design teams seamlessly, people orientated, passionate, enthusiastic, insightful, intelligent, committed, positive, engaged.
- Unrelenting focus on and commitment to current and potential REI member and consumer.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer