PB CAREERS: SAFEWAY – Brand Manager
Position Category: Marketing & Advertising
Requisition Number: MKTN128751
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,600+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.
Diversity is fundamental at Safeway. We foster an inclusive working environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee is both recognized and valued. We believe that building successful relationships with our customers and our communities is only possible through the diversity of our people. And a diverse workforce leads to better teamwork and creative thinking, as well as mutual understanding and respect.
The Consumer Brands Department has an opening for a Brand Manager. This position is located in Pleasanton, California.
Now more than ever, consumers view “private label” as brands in their own right. Join the team that JD Power cites as being a key driver of this transformation – Safeway’s Consumer Brands. Safeway’s Consumer Brands division is responsible for developing and managing an innovative portfolio of category leading brands including O Organics, Open Nature, Lucerne and Bright Green.
The Brand Manager is accountable for brand equity management and financial performance with key responsibility for identification, sell-in and launch of breakthrough new products and initiatives to drive brand and category growth. They understand and manage all key issues that impact the business, while driving to meet business objectives through leadership and influence of cross-functional partners.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop brand strategy & business plan.
- Set objectives, strategies, tactics and targets for all elements of the marketing mix (e.g. volume, promotion) through collaboration with appropriate functional groups.
- Lead and influence cross-functional team to achieve high quality execution of business plan.
- Must understand and influence P&L management. Identify risks and contingencies.
- Identify and lead business initiatives to drive brand and volume/profit growth, conduct research, obtain management approval with fact based business proposals and lead to successful execution (i.e. brand repositioning, new communication initiatives)
- Lead development of consumer communications in collaboration with corporate advertising.
- Understand relevant marketplace dynamics and other key issues leading to appropriate recommendations for the marketing mix (e.g., product quality, promotions).
- Project Management and launch of key initiatives.
- Travel is less than 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics or Marketing; MBA preferred.
- 4+ years experience plus the education listed above.
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in brand building, marketing or sales, preferably at a Consumer Packaged Goods Company or Retailer.
- Strong analytical and financial skills with ability to drive to sales and profit objectives and to identify business opportunities and risks.
- Strategic thinker, with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Results-oriented, with excellent follow through. Able to operate independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Self-motivated, with a sense of urgency.
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects. Strong sense of ownership.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively manage and influence across the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and syndicated data (IRI, Nielsen).com.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER