Job Number: PRI00574
Lead the Design Team in creation of designs for exclusive private brand products. Develop trend strategies that support merchant objectives and the Macy’s brand.
Responsible for setting the brand/label’s seasonal fashion direction. Direct all aspects of design, development, selection and approval of materials, silhouettes, colors and patterns for the season.
Direct and manage the entire Design Team for the FOB.
Design and Trend Research:
- Lead the Design Team in development and execution of product designs to achieve overall product strategy and merchandise objectives.
- Partner with other Design VPs and Merchants to share information on new emerging trends to ensure synergy and consistency within a brand.
- Set and drive the brand/label’s seasonal fashion direction.
- Lead the research and development of seasonal trends.
- Interpret seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities and merchandise trends for area of responsibility.
- Ensure designs meet merchant line plans, assortment strategies and overall creative direction.
- Coordinate presentation materials for line previews and buy meetings.
- Travel Europe/Asia to identify emerging themes and new inspirations.
- Responsible for shopping the retail markets seeking new merchandise/trend ideas.
- Responsible for shopping the trend market seeking design inspiration (materials, fashion, color, trade shows).
- Identify the key programs that comprise each classification.
- Oversee Designers in development of design development package components, as needed.
- Oversee Designers throughout the sampling process in reviewing development samples and approval of counter samples.
- Lead the Buy Meting coordination process, including visual set-up, props, lifestyle and design presentation.
- Buy Meeting and Pre-line presentation to the divisions and Senior Executives.
- Develop and ensure adherence to seasonal time & action calendar.
- Ensure appropriate product development direction supports each brand’s lifestyle, is trend right and is salable.
- Extensive communication with Product Team and Design Team.
- Sell product line to divisions at line previews and buy meetings.
- Present fashion/trend direction to the divisions and Senior Executives.
- Review merchandise performance by program and style.
- Provide leadership to Design Directors and Designers in preparing presentation materials for line previews and buy meetings.
- Provide divisions with design and fashion trends direction at line previews and buy meetings to maintain integrity of fashion/collection.
- Edit the product line with product team ensuring program and style plans are supported by appropriate product.
- Manage the communication within the Design Team, merchants and divisions to ensure cohesive aesthetic integrity within the brands.
- Work with line extension to make sure brand integrity (colors, trends) is maintained.
- Provide leadership to product team and divisions through fashion trend expertise.
- Promote and support staff development activities.
- Ensure that staff has appropriate training and follows MMG product development processes and standards.
- Partner with HR on recruitment of talent.
- Responsible for succession planning for all direct reports and staff.
- Responsible for partnering with HR on resolving any personnel issues and conflicts.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Fine Arts.
- Minimum 10 years of industry experience.
- Proficiency in PC operation, MS office and Excel
- Working knowledge of CAD software and Internet a plus.
- Technical knowledge of fabric construction
- Strong color sense/print sense.
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum.
- Proven ability to lead/manage a team.
- Demonstrated creative ability.
- Excellent presentation and organizational skills.
- Proven design expertise.
Macy’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.